• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Maybe not going well after all...

Pearl and Zip

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Codey is nipping at Zip and chasing her. Poor Zip can’t rest without being chased! Please give advice! Should we separate them and give Codey back?

We seperated them. Codey is in a cat carrier for now. I’m sorry this may seem cruel because it’s so small, but her cage before with her previous owners was barely bigger. image.jpgimage.jpg

Did you do a proper bonding, or did you just pop them in together? You really need to introduce piggies on neutral territory. They will chase and nip and rumble and hump, so I don't know how serious this has been. Are they both female? Have a look in the forums tab at the top of the page, and read the bonding guides. That should help you to decide if it's hopeless. What type of cage do they have? Is it big enough to split and give them a bit more space each. That way they can also get to know each other before a formal introduction. I hope it works out x

Unless there has been blood drawn, there is no need to seperate. Now they have been separated you will need to go back through the bonding stages and introduce them on neutral surroundings

We seperated them. Codey is in a cat carrier for now. I’m sorry this may seem cruel because it’s so small, but her cage before with her previous owners was barely bigger. View attachment 97091View attachment 97092

If they are sows, have you considered that one one of them may be in season? the first season in a new bond can be on the dramatic side. Please do not separate; the shared excess of emotion is going to bond them together more tightly. Nipping is mild pain-free dominance and NOT fighting!
Sow Behaviour
When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)

If they are sows, have you considered that one one of them may be in season? the first season in a new bond can be on the dramatic side. Please do not separate; the shared excess of emotion is going to bond them together more tightly. Nipping is mild pain-free dominance and NOT fighting!
Sow Behaviour
When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)
Zip really doesn’t like it. She is very stressed and cannot even rest for a few seconds. I don’t think the nips are painless. Codey pulls out hair when she nips, and Zip is experiencing hair loss and irritated skin because of this.

Last edited:
Did you do a proper bonding, or did you just pop them in together? You really need to introduce piggies on neutral territory. They will chase and nip and rumble and hump, so I don't know how serious this has been. Are they both female? Have a look in the forums tab at the top of the page, and read the bonding guides. That should help you to decide if it's hopeless. What type of cage do they have? Is it big enough to split and give them a bit more space each. That way they can also get to know each other before a formal introduction. I hope it works out x
We did a proper bonding. They have a 2 x 4 c and c cage. I did read the guides.

Unless there has been blood drawn, there is no need to seperate. Now they have been separated you will need to go back through the bonding stages and introduce them on neutral surroundings
No blood, but Zip has been itching and losing hair where Codey nips her. Codey pulls out her hair when she nips her. Her ears are red and irritated too because of the nipping. Zip really can’t lie down without being chased and she doesn’t like it at all. I don’t think we should reintroduce them.

No blood, but Zip has been itching and losing hair where Codey nips her. Codey pulls out her hair when she nips her. Her ears are red and irritated too because of the nipping. Zip really can’t lie down without being chased and she doesn’t like it at all. I don’t think we should reintroduce them.
I'm sorry that your finding yourself in this situation, and we are only here to advice you. If you believe that separation is the best thing for your pigs then we are in no position to tell you what to do. However, please promptly change the accommodation of Codey, and just because you deem this to be around the same size she was on before, does not make this right. Do you have spare grids from making a c&c? Or even make a make shift run with materials around the house, until you can get additional grids for a c&c for Codey. Or temporarly divide your 2x4 into two 2x2's this would give the pigs their own space until you can provide them with larger ones of their own. And this option would be much better for Codey.

Zip really doesn’t like it. She is very stressed and cannot even rest for a few seconds. I don’t think the nips are painless. Codey pulls out hair when she nips, and Zip is experiencing hair loss and irritated skin because of this.

If hair is pulled, then it means that Codey doesn't want her around. Hair pulling/biting is the sow equivalent of a boar bite. It is not what we call a nip, though. ;)
In this case, I would call the bond a fail. In my own experience those piggies will never be happy together. Bonds can fail during the dominance phase. Once a sow has taken it into her mind that she doesn't like another piggy, she is not going to change her mind, ever. I have some private feuds from failed bonding that still result in teeth chattering through the bars two years on although I have never been able to figure out what has set them off in the first place... :(

I'm sorry that your finding yourself in this situation, and we are only here to advice you. If you believe that separation is the best thing for your pigs then we are in no position to tell you what to do. However, please promptly change the accommodation of Codey, and just because you deem this to be around the same size she was on before, does not make this right. Do you have spare grids from making a c&c? Or even make a make shift run with materials around the house, until you can get additional grids for a c&c for Codey. Or temporarly divide your 2x4 into two 2x2's this would give the pigs their own space until you can provide them with larger ones of their own. And this option would be much better for Codey.
The carrier is only temporary.

I want to divide the 2 x 4 for a better temporary option, but how do I do it? I don’t have extra grids or cages.

The carrier is only temporary.

I want to divide the 2 x 4 for a better temporary option, but how do I do it? I don’t have extra grids or cages.
Even if you use a piece of thick cardboard and zip tie it to the grids, or something sturdy that can be secured to the grids, it'll do as a temporary divider

We are offering suggestions, but maybe just look around your house to see what could be suitable, if you double or even tripled up on zip ties using just a piece of cardboard, I wouldn't have thought your guinea pigs would be able to push it up, even if you need to use multiple pieces of cardboard together

Thank you, for all the suggestions!

My dad is on a trip, and when he comes back we’re going to figure something out since we don’t have much cardboard. For now, I’m starting floortime at 9:30am and planning to end around 6:00pm. I can do this since it’s Saturday and I have no school. My dad will be back by Monday when school starts and we’ll find a way to divide the cage. My room is guinea pig-safe and large compared to most bedrooms. She’ll have plenty of space here.

Back