• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Medications

evymv

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Happy new year everyone,

I accidentally gave the wrong medication to my Guinea pig. He’s on Cisapride, Metronidazole, Metoclopramide and I gave him a high dosage of tramadol (0.26ml) by accident (I had the syringe prepared to give it to my other pig).
I googled what medication not to combine Tramadol with and apparently Metronidazole is one of them.

How long should I wait before I can safely give him his meds? And will the tramadol affect him at all?

My advice would be for you to contact your vet immediately and tell them what happened. They should know what to do.
Happy new year and I hope you can easily fix the problem.

I would call but they’re closed until Tuesday

Is there any emergency/out of hours vet you can call?
We are only owners ourselves and not vets so we couldn’t comment on what is best to do in this case

Happy new year everyone,

I accidentally gave the wrong medication to my Guinea pig. He’s on Cisapride, Metronidazole, Metoclopramide and I gave him a high dosage of tramadol (0.26ml) by accident (I had the syringe prepared to give it to my other pig).
I googled what medication not to combine Tramadol with and apparently Metronidazole is one of them.

How long should I wait before I can safely give him his meds? And will the tramadol affect him at all?

Seeing that all vets in Canada will be closed and that you do not have any veterinary out of hours coverage, please stop the antibiotic for today and ring them up tomorrow first thing if they are open again whether to leave for another day to be on the safe or not. Guinea pigs have a faster metabolism than dogs or cats.

Sorry for the timing!

PS: Get a set of differently coloured markers to use on the labels. It is simple but very effective when you have to use different medications or have to medicate more than one guinea pig. Always double-check the label once you have loaded the syringe. It takes a little training but it is a very useful habit to develop, not just for your piggies but also fo yourself or other family members.

All veterinary clinics should have an out of hours service. Even if it’s no where near you. They should be able to offer advice over the phone.

Really? That’s awful I had no idea:(

Please do not give any advice in this section when you are not aware of what goes where the poster lives and just keep it to always welcome moral support.

The monitoring mods have to adapt their practical advice accordingly for other countries and their individual conditions. We are aware of the potential issues (including legal ones) and vet access/access or lack to exotics vets and our advice will reflect that.

Back