• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

medicine query

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
hi,

can anyone tell me what "panomec" is used for? i have been given this by my vet, and i can't remember what he said, but i do know that our little piggie hates the taste. she showed herself to be a spoiled piggie last night when i gave it to her! (feet stamping, paws around her mouth, head shaking - typical tantrum mode!) thank you

What symptoms was your piggie showing that encouraged the vet to give her panomec? if your piggie is dead against it, there might be alternatives depending upon the symptoms.

It's normally given to get rid of worms in other animals..hence is often dexcribed as a "wormer"..but piggies hardly ever are recorded with worms (apart from non-harmful pin worm in laboraotry colonies) so the terminology is a bit confusing because most piggies don;t need worming with "a wormer" in the clinical sense.

Panomec however can be used in piggies to just "stabilise and boost" the right gut flora and that is why it is given to piggies who maybe have digestive problems/aren;t pooing properly. Personally i would rather give a piggie Fibreplex rather than panomec if it is just to settle the gut with no obvious worm involvement

HTH
x

Panomec is a brand name of ivermectin, so could be one option for treating mites.

Panomec is a brand name of ivermectin, so could be one option for treating mites.

Thankx Laura - I had always wondered but now I understand it's the oral alternative to spot on or an ivermectin injection.....hmmm will go and have a look at this now for one of my piggies......

What is the recommended dosage please?

x

Panomec is an oral/injected form of ivermectin. I have been given it by my vets for oral use against mites - the dose is 0.05ml per adult piggy.

Oral dose is 0.1ml for an adult piggie, which I take to mean a pig weighing ~1kg.

Sorry Wiebke, contradicting you there. You've said your vets dose, I'm advising from CCT literature. :)

Oral dose is 0.1ml for an adult piggie, which I take to mean a pig weighing ~1kg.

Sorry Wiebke, contradicting you there. You've said your vets dose, I'm advising from CCT literature. :)

That was the oral dose I have been prescribed and which has been confirmed by another vet at the centre when I asked him to please check it up for me again as it seemed very low.

my piggie has loss of hair around the neck & shoulder area, but he spoke so quickly i had a bit of trouble grasping what he was saying. none of my other piggies are showing any symptoms of mites, so i just wondered how she could have them. all of our piggies are indoor piggies (for this season) their pen in cleaned thoroughly every week. i am confused

xx

my piggie has loss of hair around the neck & shoulder area, but he spoke so quickly i had a bit of trouble grasping what he was saying. none of my other piggies are showing any symptoms of mites, so i just wondered how she could have them. she is on a dose of 0.1ml, which after reading the replies, seems high for a piggie of 3.5 months. all of our piggies are indoor piggies (for this season) their pen in cleaned thoroughly every week. i am confused

xx

It's in horse wormers I think, I can tell you that much!

Have seen a horse spit their wormer out proper camel style across the barn, so it doesn't taste great I'm sure!

It's in horse wormers I think, I can tell you that much!

Have seen a horse spit their wormer out proper camel style across the barn, so it doesn't taste great I'm sure!

my piggie has loss of hair around the neck & shoulder area, but he spoke so quickly i had a bit of trouble grasping what he was saying. none of my other piggies are showing any symptoms of mites, so i just wondered how she could have them. she is on a dose of 0.1ml, which after reading the replies, seems high for a piggie of 3.5 months. all of our piggies are indoor piggies (for this season) their pen in cleaned thoroughly every week. i am confused

xx

Mites are very common, piggies who are ill or stressed may be more prone to being affected by them, but on the whole you can't always explain why a certain pig has mites and others seem unaffected. Have you had your little one for long? Could be she brought them with her from her previous home?

I would advise, in the very least, either treating all the pigs in the same herd with Panomec or bathing all of them, just to make some effort to control/eliminate any parasite problems in the others.

How much does your piggie weigh?

hi laura,

this little piggie was born here. she hasn't been anywhere else. this little lady is the one with the teeth problem. when can i bathe her? and what do i bathe her with? is there anything special i should be using? how long would it take to give 17 piggies a bath? :{

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back