• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Meet before bonding?

Weezypie13

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Advice needed please. Two weeks ago we rehomed a recently neutered boar. He's about to complete his two week quarantine but still has two weeks before he can go in with our girls. Should I move his home into the same room with the girls so they can sniff and see each other before I try bonding on neutral territory (our bathroom) or leave him in a separate room until he's ready to meet them fully? Thanks

Put him in the same room (separate cage). He will be desperate for interaction so being able to speak to them through the bars until he is safe to be with them will greatly benefit him. It won’t, however, give you any indication of how things will go during the bonding though.

Thank you. Should his cage be next to them or on other side of room?

Next to them to enable interaction. If it is across the room then they won’t be able to smell each other so easily, or communicate via body language. Their eye sight is not great and they can only see a very short way in front of them

Advice needed please. Two weeks ago we rehomed a recently neutered boar. He's about to complete his two week quarantine but still has two weeks before he can go in with our girls. Should I move his home into the same room with the girls so they can sniff and see each other before I try bonding on neutral territory (our bathroom) or leave him in a separate room until he's ready to meet them fully? Thanks

Hi!

Your boy can live next to your sows during his post-op wait, provided he cannot get our of this cage and into the girls' cage. boars can be extremely athletic and determined when sows are in season. A traditional cage is better than a C&C grid cage unless you cable tie all grids so he cannot wiggle them apart. No huts etc. by the grids to prevent him climbing/jumping over. If necessary have a plank he cannot shift over his side along the adjoining edge. Guinea pig communication consists of vocal, body language and pheromone components. Ideally you allow your piggies to be able to communicate fully and make friends through the bars. It makes for a great acceptance rate but is not a full guarantee.

Our forum recommendation for the post-op wait is a full 6 weeks. This follows best UK rescue practice; 8 years down the line and hundreds of rescue boars neutered, I have yet to hear of an accident which would make the rounds like wildfire!
The little surprise baby in my avatar picture (Tegan Syndod, Welsh for 'Little Beautiful Surprise', 2011-19) on the left is the legacy of a supposedly safe over 5 weeks post-op boar (not one of mine), just make the point that there is a significant difference between mostly safe and totally safe that many vets don't seem to quite appreciate! It can happen to anybody as it is playing statistics; and I am not the only one who has been caught out.
Considering that you have paid a lot of money for the operation, I personally don't feel it worth throwing that away just because the waiting is getting a bit tedious towards the end. Since the tubes are not being removed, any semen in there has to die off first.

Here is our comprehensive neutering and post-op recovery guide:
Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
A Closer Look At Pairs (Boars - Sows - Mixed) (Many of the information in the mixed pairs chapter also applies to bonding with a sow pair)

Last edited:
Thank you both for your info. He was neutered by the rescue on 21 Aug and we are going to try the bonding on 3/4 October so will be full 6 weeks. He is such a sweet boy and deserves to have piggies friends however as much as I love my piggies, I don't need anymore!

Back