• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Megazorb

Honeyandhazel

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I’ve just switched from wood shavings to Megazorb as fleece isn’t really an option for my messy piggies.
So far I love it I don’t have any pee smell from the cage after 3 days and with shavings I could smell it by this point it’s also great for comfort and quite cheap (I bought it from amazon)
However the smell of the megazorb its self is off putting it’s not a nice smell at all and the cage is kept in my bedroom :(
Does anyone else have troubles with the smell of megazorb? Or any idea on how to stop it from smelling?

Honestly, after a while I just got used to the smell. Some batches smell more than others and it's always much more obvious when you've just opened a bag, but I always put up with it because as bedding goes it's damned good. @Jaycey did yours try to eat it? Thankfully Comet never did, and it always kept Blitzen really dry even when his fur was so long.

I had two boars in a 4'x4' space, and I generally paid around £15 for 85 litres from Amazon. Generally they only needed a full clean every 2-3 weeks, as long as you regularly turned over the damp parts and spot cleaned.

Honestly, after a while I just got used to the smell. Some batches smell more than others and it's always much more obvious when you've just opened a bag, but I always put up with it because as bedding goes it's damned good. @Jaycey did yours try to eat it? Thankfully Comet never did, and it always kept Blitzen really dry even when his fur was so long.
I only seem to notice the smell at night time during the day I can’t really smell anything maybe because it is a new bag il use it again when I clean out and see how that smells

Hi What size cage and how many piggies? How long did it last before you changed it? How much is it for a 20kg bag?

I have a smaller cage than I should only because my piggies are currently the size of Syrian hamsters but I’m going to be upgrading to a bigger cage in a few months once they are bigger, I have 2 piggies and changed bedding on Friday

I got 85 litres on amazon for £15 but I believe it’s cheaper if you go to a farm shop

i pay 7 pounds for a 85 litre bag of megazorb from a farm shop.i place dengi medibed over the top.this is a very soft chopped wheat straw over the top.it stops the smells from the megazorb,and the feaces go away from the top layer.i always change mine every 7 to 8 days full clean.

dengi medibed is chopped and very soft,it can be used for small animals,it is not like barley straw .it is not a good absorbent,but the liquid,moisture goes straight to the megazorb.:)

Why is straw a bad Idea?
Because usually it's too coarse and runs the risk of eye injuries. It's also not absorbent at all, so you'd still need a layer of something absorbent underneath it to catch the urine. The dengi medibed @eileen mentioned above is straw bedding that can be used for small animals, but you'd still need a layer of something absorbent underneath.

Megazorb is known for being smelly itself. I've never used it personally, I was put off by it supposedly being dusty.

Megazorb is known for being smelly itself. I've never used it personally, I was put off by it supposedly being dusty.

Generally it's okay. Comet was always a little sensitive with dust (like hay dust) but he was fine on the Megazorb.

I’ve read that somewhere before but the bag I got doesn’t seem to be dusty and it’s been open for a while now so the smell is slowly fading away I still think wood shavings smell better but wouldn’t go back to them for the mess and health risks

I've been using Megazorb for a few years now (Time for Paws (was GJW Titmuss) sell 2x 85L sacks for £23.99 - lasts ages!) and not had a problem with the smell.
Not sure if I'm making the most of the Megazorb's fantastic benefits though as I put a layer of newspaper on top to make it easier to change the hay every day (just roll up the newspaper and put fresh newspaper on top of the Megazorb). The problem is, wet newspaper smells much worse than wet Megazorb, so perhaps I'm defeating the object of using Megazorb...
Any suggestions from anyone else using Megazorb?

Back