• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Megazorb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDRB_TP

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

so I have my piggies on Bedmax as bedding (horse bedding), although, the pieces can be quite sharp, and sometimes a little dusty, so I was thinking of trying a different brand.

I've heard that a lot of people use Megazorb, and it comes quite cheap.
What are people's opinions on it?

Thanks. :)

___

Best regards,
Isabella, Tallulah, Penelope & Lily.
x

I ordered some yesterday and it seems ok so far! It has an odd but unoffensive smell and I didn't find it dusty. The piggies seem to like it, I had them on hay and paper before so now they can see where they are going!

Wonderful stuff! It's really economical, I've found it to be odour free, not at all messy around the house, easy to clean out, and the piggies seem to love it!

I currently have a three-storey indoor cage - on the top level are two baby sows on vetbed, middle is Squeak on Megazorb and bottom is Pudding on a fleece cage liner. My favourite of all three is definitely the Megazorb, it's so much easier to use than the other types of bedding!

Tracey

hey...
sorry to hi-jack your post but......
where can you get megazorb from i've been trying to find a supplyer by me and so far no such luck... :)
x

Hmm.. Wonderful, all these comments are, I've heard it can get stuck in some long-haired Guinea Pig's coats? And I have a long-haired pig haha. :p mallethead

___

Best regards,
x

I ordered some yesterday and it seems ok so far! It has an odd but unoffensive smell and I didn't find it dusty. The piggies seem to like it, I had them on hay and paper before so now they can see where they are going!

:) Aw that's good.
Haha, mine are on bedmax right now. They love digging it allllll up! Haha. :p

___

Best regards,
x

Hmm.. Wonderful, all these comments are, I've heard it can get stuck in some long-haired Guinea Pig's coats? And I have a long-haired pig haha. :p mallethead

___

Best regards,
x

haha.... and me... will be interesting to hear... :)
x

Wonderful stuff! It's really economical, I've found it to be odour free, not at all messy around the house, easy to clean out, and the piggies seem to love it!

I currently have a three-storey indoor cage - on the top level are two baby sows on vetbed, middle is Squeak on Megazorb and bottom is Pudding on a fleece cage liner. My favourite of all three is definitely the Megazorb, it's so much easier to use than the other types of bedding!

Tracey

:) Thanks for you're comment.
I am considering it now... I might try Auboise and then Megazorb, see which I like best. :(|)

___

Best regards,
x

hey...
sorry to hi-jack your post but......
where can you get megazorb from i've been trying to find a supplyer by me and so far no such luck... :)
x

Haha, it's fine. :)p
I have no idea - sorry. Have you tried local equestrian centers? That's where you normally find it.. but also, I've heard you can order it online. No idea where though. mallethead

___

Best regards,
x

Good news! Yesterday I purchased a pack of Megazorb which I just cleaned out about an hour ago. It seems much softer than the previous bedding, and the girls seem to be okay with it. Also, it doesn't seem to be getting stuck in Tallulah's hair so far - fingers crossed!

Plus, I love the smell! It's soooo nice!
If anyone was wondering where to get it, try this page, it will tell you where all the stockists are.
However, I simply asked my local equestrian centre if they could order a bag in for me and they did! Also, it was very cheap at only £6.99.

I took a few pictures of it if anyone wishes to know what it's like. :)

IMG_2714.jpg

*Featuring Lily, Penelope & Tallulah*

IMG_2703.jpg

Thank you everyone for your help. C:
___

Best regards,
x

I used up one bag of Megazorb and decided I really didn't like it. Firstly I wasn't keen on the smell, I thought it was a bit like yoghurt ha ha and it just wasn't effective. I was using puppy pads under the Megazorb because it was literally absorbing nothing, it was all going straight through to the pads. The piggies looked dirty again within literally 1-2 days of a full clean out.

Although it did get stuck in the hair of my texels I didn't think that was massive problem. No worse than with shavings etc.

I now used Medibed, which is another equine bedding, cheaper than the Megazorb and it feels lovely. Still put puppy pads under it but it's great at hiding any piggy smells and still looks good a few days after a full clean. The pigs seems to like it so I guess that is what matters!

I was getting my Megazorb from an equine supplier on order, I get my Medibed also now on order through Country Store which I understand is a relatively big chain.

I used up one bag of Megazorb and decided I really didn't like it. Firstly I wasn't keen on the smell, I thought it was a bit like yoghurt ha ha and it just wasn't effective. I was using puppy pads under the Megazorb because it was literally absorbing nothing, it was all going straight through to the pads. The piggies looked dirty again within literally 1-2 days of a full clean out.

Although it did get stuck in the hair of my texels I didn't think that was massive problem. No worse than with shavings etc.

I now used Medibed, which is another equine bedding, cheaper than the Megazorb and it feels lovely. Still put puppy pads under it but it's great at hiding any piggy smells and still looks good a few days after a full clean. The pigs seems to like it so I guess that is what matters!

I was getting my Megazorb from an equine supplier on order, I get my Medibed also now on order through Country Store which I understand is a relatively big chain.

I think I would be a little wary if using Medibed for piggies, I just googled to find out what it's made from & found on another piggy forum that one person thinks it is toxic & may have contributed to the early death of her piggies :( I won't post the details on here but if you want me to send you the link to the page I will. It appears it is treated with citrus oils & Equine herbal disinfectant. Sorry if this isn't good news for you but I don't know if you are aware of the risks in case it hasn't been proved to be safe for piggies.

I know what forum/thread you are talking about. Whilst I don't discount the lady on there feeling she may have had a problem with Medibed at the same time she has no solid proof. She assumes it was a toxin that unfortunately killed her guinea pigs but the only sure way to know would be a post mortem of some sort. There are more variables than just the bedding material - no one can say her food or hay wasn't somehow contaminated.

The Medibed bale states it is safe for small animal use and that it is considered 'non toxic'. I assume it wouldn't be advertised as either of those things if the claims weren't true.

Anyway my piggies have been on shavings as of late because the Medibed has become difficult to get hold of so right now I'm not particularly worried. There are plenty of claims that shavings are bad though, so I can't win, despite not having had any problems for the last 10 years. Will probably just go with puppy pads and hay in the end.

Because I can't edit I would like to add I refound the thread and although I knew it was old it's from the start of 2008. I'm kind of thinking that if Medibed was a threat to guinea pigs it would have been more widely reported by now.

Having throughly searched the rest of the internet I can't personally find anyone else reporting similar issues.

Because I can't edit I would like to add I refound the thread and although I knew it was old it's from the start of 2008. I'm kind of thinking that if Medibed was a threat to guinea pigs it would have been more widely reported by now.

Having throughly searched the rest of the internet I can't personally find anyone else reporting similar issues.

I hope you aren't offended by what I said, no offence meant :red one person reporting/thinking it may have caused a problem with her pigs is not everyone, I understand. It isn't meant to be ingested though, it has been treated so horses do not like the taste of it, so if piggies do eat it there may or may not be a toxicity issue that's all :)

No not offended, I just think people on the internet often scaremonger - not you personally ofcourse I understand your intentions are good. If the lady had said 'I've had a post mortem done and it's definitely X in Medibed that killed my guinea pigs' I'd stop using Medibed. Or if more people were coming forward in expressing an issue perhaps I'd think twice but it's literally one in a million.

The bale states it was not considered desirable to eat for 8/10 horses, so what about the two that did eat it?! I've not seen my guinea pigs eat it at all, but I will give Dengie a ring to settle the matter on whether it is or isn't approved for use in small animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back