• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Member Gallery: Hutches

My guinea pigs live in a 2 storey hutch in a shed

hutch view 1.JPG

The ramp has a cover at the top

sewing bee 003.JPG

Here is Max relaxing on top of the ramp cover

Max relaxing.jpg

The ramp has a "Bannister" and I use a ramp tunnel too

ramp tunnel.jpg

I have geenhouse heaters fitted inside the hutch - they are linked to a thermostat

Internal heating.jpg

when it is really cold. I can cover the front of the hutch

winter protection.jpg

Here is a picture of Bess enjoying a hay tray downtairs ( you may just be able to make out that ther is an oil filled radiator under the hutch ).

Bess in hay tray.jpg

I have an extension I can add for exercise ( I call it "The exercise yard ")

exercise area detached.jpg
exercise area attached 1.jpg

I can't believe I haven't posted my guinea pigs new hutch which I got a few months ago so here it is

So after many hours of painting my guinea pigs new 6ft hutch is ready for everyone to see! I stained the outside a dark oak colour I believe and painted the inside a pet safe willow colour so I'm gonna stop talking and show you guys the photos of the hutch
zlsmile_zpscc4a8e1b.gif
. Oh one last thing the pigs haven't been fed today, spot cleaned, poo picked or had all the bedding replaced in the sleeping area today which is why it looks a mess
zlsmile_zpscc4a8e1b.gif

Naught Piggies already chewing their hutch!

Not sure if this would be the right category as it is a hutch but not an outdoors one

This is my new house for my guinea pig. It is roughly 4 foot by 3 feet (12sq foot) on the bottom and 4 foot by 1.5 foot (6sq foot)on the top. At the moment it only houses 1 guinea pig but if all goes well he should have a girlfriend in there with him soon.

I love the hutch and the space it has but it wouldn't work as an outdoors hutch as there is no bottom to it. I built a unit in my living room to sit it on and covered the top of the unit in PVC fabric to waterproof it. It is pretty easy to get into, i didn't screw down the top of the run so it just lifts up and the door on the front is big, I can easily fit the whole top half of my body through the door and I'm not skinny. The top has 2 doors that open so you can get full access to it and has a plastic base. I covered the ramp in carpet and added a railing as I didn't think the ramp was safe enough for guinea pigs. I also plan on making the hole at the top smaller and putting a railing around it too. Once that's done I plan on covering the whole top area in hay instead of just in the "sleeping area" but at the moment it ends up falling into the hole for the ramp and I'm worried about Sam standing on it and falling down. I also need to find a bigger tray for in the bottom as well.
Picture 034.jpg
Picture 045.jpg
Picture 041.jpg
Picture 043.jpg

in the process of moving my group (2 pairs in two hutches) into hutches in a large wooden bike store - they are in hutches in a shed down the garden but this means they can be beside the backdoor (hurrah!), which means access for electricity (woopee!) which means heating in store (yeeha!) - going to insulate the store before the hutch goes in and then insulate the hutch too - so will post pics once it's underway - got to get the store delivered first! :clap:

Had to give up my huge shed for bikes and other stuff but will be fun turning this into a piggie hotel!

Not sure if this would be the right category as it is a hutch but not an outdoors one

This is my new house for my guinea pig. It is roughly 4 foot by 3 feet (12sq foot) on the bottom and 4 foot by 1.5 foot (6sq foot)on the top. At the moment it only houses 1 guinea pig but if all goes well he should have a girlfriend in there with him soon.

I love the hutch and the space it has but it wouldn't work as an outdoors hutch as there is no bottom to it. I built a unit in my living room to sit it on and covered the top of the unit in PVC fabric to waterproof it. It is pretty easy to get into, i didn't screw down the top of the run so it just lifts up and the door on the front is big, I can easily fit the whole top half of my body through the door and I'm not skinny. The top has 2 doors that open so you can get full access to it and has a plastic base. I covered the ramp in carpet and added a railing as I didn't think the ramp was safe enough for guinea pigs. I also plan on making the hole at the top smaller and putting a railing around it too. Once that's done I plan on covering the whole top area in hay instead of just in the "sleeping area" but at the moment it ends up falling into the hole for the ramp and I'm worried about Sam standing on it and falling down. I also need to find a bigger tray for in the bottom as well.
View attachment 44953
View attachment 44954
View attachment 44955
View attachment 44956
Hope you find a friend soon, as they will have loads of space to popcorn! X

too. Once that's done I plan on covering the whole top area in hay instead of just in the "sleeping area" but at the moment it ends up falling into the hole for the ramp and I'm worried about Sam standing on it and falling down.

I also plan on making the hole at the top smaller and putting a railing around it too.

I was worried about the hole at the top of the ramp - I have a cover made ...

sewing-bee-003-jpg.42859

I've already hopefully found him a friend. I know someone who has a guinea pig they want to rehome so if she gets on with sam then i'll be keeping her with sam. He's going in to get neutered tomorrow so need to wait until he is safe after that.

Thats a great idea piggyowner, I think i'll be borrowing that idea

I've already hopefully found him a friend. I know someone who has a guinea pig they want to rehome so if she gets on with sam then i'll be keeping her with sam. He's going in to get neutered tomorrow so need to wait until he is safe after that.

Thats a great idea piggyowner, I think i'll be borrowing that idea

I got my wee boy Chewy neutered last year and then got him a wife from the animal rescue over here - they lived in separate hutches for 4 weeks until he was past the 6 weeks, and then I introduced them in a run - and they have always got on! Maybe it helped that they were able to watch and sniff through the bars for a few weeks first. Fingers crossed Sam finds a friend too. :clap:

My piggie shed.

Upstairs of the hutch I use as the 'messy area' so hay racks and loose hay are put up there.

They're housed on fleece with the exception of the upstairs sleeping compartment. Where I use biocatlet litter and lots of hay.

20160317_141937.jpg

20160317_150209.jpg

Upstairs bed where they all tend to snuggle up.

20160317_135938.jpg

My piggie shed.

Upstairs of the hutch I use as the 'messy area' so hay racks and loose hay are put up there.

They're housed on fleece with the exception of the upstairs sleeping compartment. Where I use biocatlet litter and lots of hay.

View attachment 45009

View attachment 45010

View attachment 45011
love your setup - I have been using fleece in the hutches too and love it - so easy to clean out - was worried it would get damp in winter (don't know why!) but it didn't - you have such a huge herd and they are very cute. :nod:

My piggie shed.

View attachment 45009

View attachment 45010

View attachment 45011

What size shed do you have? I was wanting a shed, but then bumped the car, oops! I've gotta get the paintwork done before the shed! Boo! x

20160403_125731.jpg We've got a Blubell hideaway hutch from pets at home, we have two sows in there at the minute, does anyone know if it is big enough for three as we'd love to get another little lady!
After trialing lots of different bedding, we are using fleece in the bedroom and newspaper upstairs, and downstairs we have a mix of carefresh and fitch.
We are going to have a shed set up before the end of summer, so will hopefully be on just fleece then with hay racks and trays. Here's a couple of pics from Sunday x20160403_124330.jpg 20160403_125110.jpg

I would also like to know if the bluebell from Pets at home would house 3-4 piggies?

Also people who line the hutches with lino, can I ask what you use to stick it down? The normal adhesive spray?

Thank you

Not sure about the hutch size but I never stuck my lino down so I can lift it and air the cage out once in a while but also I can replace it if naughty piggies start to damage it lol x

Not sure about the hutch size but I never stuck my lino down so I can lift it and air the cage out once in a while but also I can replace it if naughty piggies start to damage it lol x
Same here as pee always gets underneath it even when flat down so I'm glad I didn't seal it but I think aquarium sealer would work @VickieD

Thanks this helps

Any idea how many sows I could have in 2 tier hutch 4ft poss 5ft or bluebell from pets at home

In my 5ft bluebell I have 3 sows and would not want to put more than that in it. Mine do use the second layer but when all 3 are downstairs it is quite crowded with all the pigs and hides in it.
I also have lined with lino but would not seal down as this enables you to clean underneath it and to replace once old.

Back