• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Member Gallery: Hutches

Following a fall-out between my boys, Eddie and Spike - you can read about it here. I have had to purchase a new hutch. I went for the Chartwell 4ft 2 tier hutch. It seems to have had good reviews. It is certainly very sturdy. Before I assembled it I put on some sticky-back plastic to the floors. I'm not sure if this will be strong enough but it does have a layer of newspaper, softwood shavings and hay above it. So time will tell.

I sealed the edges with gaffer - tape to stop any wee running down the side, and also help stop draughts. I then painted the internal walls white (using pet-safe paint), just so the guinea pigs stand out a little.

20160513_090000.jpg

The one thing that lets this hutch down badly is the thinness of the hardboard on the back and on the roof. A miserly 3mm.

20160513_090034.jpg

So I attached some thermal insulation on to the back and on to the roof and boarded it in.

20160513_094210.jpg 20160513_112233.jpg

I fitted a tarpaulin and also a Scratch and Newton hutch hugger over the hutch. So hopefully it will keep the worst of the weather off.
Just a couple more pics. One with Eddie checking out his new home. And the finished article.

20160513_125818.jpg 20160513_125939.jpg

I do still try to give them time together. I put them next to each other in runs in the garden. Sometimes I put them in together - under supervision - but it just does not work. And lap time I try to get them together. But there still is no change to their current negative situation.

All these hutches are so lovely - well done everyone :) xx

I recently adopted two piggies (Chester and Tilly) and the cage they came with is so horrible and tiny - the poor things are miserable. I've decided to attach the Bluebell Hideaway hutch (from Pets At Home) which is 5ft by 2ft, to a Bunny Business run which measures 6ft by 4ft. The hutch will be just used as a place to sleep, a kitchen, and also a place to put their hay/litter trays, then the run will be a place to play and exercise - does this sound like a good home? :D

All these hutches are so lovely - well done everyone :) xx

I recently adopted two piggies (Chester and Tilly) and the cage they came with is so horrible and tiny - the poor things are miserable. I've decided to attach the Bluebell Hideaway hutch (from Pets At Home) which is 5ft by 2ft, to a Bunny Business run which measures 6ft by 4ft. The hutch will be just used as a place to sleep, a kitchen, and also a place to put their hay/litter trays, then the run will be a place to play and exercise - does this sound like a good home? :D

:D Hello and welcome to the forum! That sounds like a great set-up. Will you be able to move the run easily when they have eaten all the grass?

@7squeakers sorry! I forgot to mention they'd be housed indoors in a spare room. Whoops! :D

Finally sorted out the piggies new hutch, I've now managed to get shut of the pigs old hutch and they're now housed in the new hutch complex. ;)

View attachment 32109

View attachment 32110
Pigs hutch is being expanded, the section directly above is being separated from the rabbits and an extra floor put in, giving the piggies twice as much room. ;)

so, like many others on here, this is my MK3 piggie shed! OMG! :doh: but I feel it's the best - the boys were down the bottom of the garden in a large shed, in hutches but it was too hot in summer and not easy to insulate in winter- so I bought this lovely bike store to house them right beside the house.

It's lined internally with thick polystyrene sheets (and I used the off cuts for the door!) and then covered with aluminum bubble wrap
it has two large vents top and bottom for a good draw of air, and I intend to cut a large window hatch in one door before winter so I can keep the doors closed during the day but still have loads of daylight and ventilation to the piggies. Thinking of large opening to span both wire hutch doors and filling with wire to match - can always drop a see through curtain over if its raining hard but want to ensure it has good ventilation too.

Also plan to get electric from the housing next to the shed before winter and get a couple of tube heaters installed too.

It's great - the sun gets it first thing, then they are shaded most of the day and then they get sun after teatime - it keeps really cool with all the insulation too.

I converted the Bluebell hutch into two hutches Spud and Freckles on top and Poppy and Chewy below - get access to their run via the runaround tube for most of the day and the top boys have a large run and hutch they get to roam around in too (going to get another tube for them though once funds allow).

And to top it off there is plenty of storage above the hutch for bedding etc, and space to the left for shelves containing other piggie things, and folding chairs!

Just got to get it painted and it will be fantastic - and I close both doors at night and lock it so the piggies are safe too. I usually have one door closed if raining and it's deep enough that the rain doesnt wet the hutch. Great option if you are tight on space and for me it means they are sat outside the back door and get even more attention! :yahoo:

If ever I have a herd that can all share I can reinstall the ramp to the hutch and they would have some fun racing up and down the hutch and out the tube to the run :bronco:
piggie hutch.jpg

Did a quick revamp of the hutches today whilst cleaning them. This is what it used to look like:

piggies_zpsbug04dli.jpg

The rabbits had the entire upstairs and the bottom left section. I've now separated the upstairs into 2 and re-cut a hole in the roof of the pigs hutch and added another ramp.
WP_20160623_16_34_55_Pro_LI.jpg
I intend to add another level upstairs to give the pigs 4 levels, so they'll have loads of space should I get a new tribe member! :whistle: The rabbits have just the left side now which is big enough for 2, plus they free range 24/7 during the summer.

The pigs took to the new level immediately and made themselves at home. :))
WP_20160623_17_08_41_Pro_LI.jpg

Put a couple of microwave brackets to good use today and got my oil filled radiator off the shed floor away from mischievous teeth. ;)
radiator.jpg

Here is my new setup. It is a PAH Bluebell Hideaway. The inside it kitted out with Lino and the ramp has lino that has been scoured for grip. The black tiles on the bottom are a little rough and there to help with keeping nails down but mostly to provide a nice cool area when it's hot that they can pan out on. The green basket i converted myself to make a hay basket and it fits tons in without going everywhere. Its very big and deep, plus the run gives my 4 girls lots of space to have a great time :) Just needs a few more toys now ;)

View attachment 11506 View attachment 11508 View attachment 11509 View attachment 11510 View attachment 11511

In your photos here what are you using as the run?

Did a quick revamp of the hutches today whilst cleaning them. This is what it used to look like:

piggies_zpsbug04dli.jpg

The rabbits had the entire upstairs and the bottom left section. I've now separated the upstairs into 2 and re-cut a hole in the roof of the pigs hutch and added another ramp.
View attachment 48780
I intend to add another level upstairs to give the pigs 4 levels, so they'll have loads of space should I get a new tribe member! :whistle: The rabbits have just the left side now which is big enough for 2, plus they free range 24/7 during the summer.

The pigs took to the new level immediately and made themselves at home. :))
View attachment 48781
looks great! I have a sort of similar setup - I know your piggies free range during the day - what do you do if its pouring down every day and the grass is too wet for run time on it? Do you let them scuttle around the shed? Looking for tips! cheers!

The shed has a cat flap which is propped open during the day, the hutch doors are open and the shed door shut, so they can run round the shed floor and nip out to munch on the grass during breaks in the rain. ;)

sounds like a great idea - I think I molly coddle my lot and they probably could get out more if they had direct access - I'm always concerned they will get wet and end up with chest infections - but I suppose they are not daft enough to sit out if it rains, I am sure they would retreat to the dry shelter of the hutch? trying to weigh up more exercise time with pro's/cons of linking the run to hutch for longer :) have a runaround system for the lower hutch and think that I could let them run in and all all day if they want :)

just got to work out access for the boys on the top level :nod:

Here is my hutch for my new baby boys who we're hopefully picking up on Saturday. Only the bottom and second level are connected at the moment as the boys are only 11 weeks old but we'll connect the second and third level once they're bigger. I'll do a photo of the inside once we set it up tomorrow.

I didn't realise it's only 1ft wide but the lady that did the home check said because it's 5ft long it makes up for the foot we lose in width in the length. I'm worried we should have got a wider one now but hopefully the boys will be happy.

image.jpg

Did another revamp today, I've made the ramps less steep so Sadie can safely get up and down, the upper level hole between floors was a little big, it wasn't dangerous - if they fell through the hole, they landed on the ramp - I've screwed a hinged panel over half of the hole, so as they come up the ramp, they nudge it up with their noses, as they go down the ramp, their shoulders will lift the flap to let their fat bellies and bums through!. I've lowered the ramp and screwed it to the side of the support batten and placed a large plastic foot under the base of the ramp so it's a lot less steep, I'll post photos next time I have my phone in the shed with me. ;)

Back