Messy garden

Tilly92

New Born Pup
Reaction score
The girls have been out on the grass for a short time recently but their hay get blown all round the garden. What is the best way to give hay without it carpeting the grass ?

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I don’t put hay out for mine when they’re on grass.

Tara95

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I don't put hay out either. They were so disappointed when they came in and had to eat hay, just picking at odd stands thinking is this it after having fresh grass for hours 🤣. My garden is so messy also. It's fairly small with grass that needs cutting but I really don't want to cut it yet for the guinea pigs! I have a question about sunlight obviously I'd never put my guinea pigs directly in the sun especially today but yesterday in the evening when it was getting more chilly I did move some of their run in the sun is that okay? It was quite breezy and I wanted to give them that option. Then I have noticed that in the spare bedroom (their room) they almost always have sun in the morning but is not direct so it that okay? Or do I need to start putting the blind half way down? Many thanks 🥰

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't put hay out either. They were so disappointed when they came in and had to eat hay, just picking at odd stands thinking is this it after having fresh grass for hours 🤣. My garden is so messy also. It's fairly small with grass that needs cutting but I really don't want to cut it yet for the guinea pigs! I have a question about sunlight obviously I'd never put my guinea pigs directly in the sun especially today but yesterday in the evening when it was getting more chilly I did move some of their run in the sun is that okay? It was quite breezy and I wanted to give them that option. Then I have noticed that in the spare bedroom (their room) they almost always have sun in the morning but is not direct so it that okay? Or do I need to start putting the blind half way down? Many thanks 🥰
It's really based on temperature.

Right now I am not fussed about the animals (rabbits, guinea pig and hamster) having some direct sun, as it is still quite cool.
However I make sure (whether they are inside or outside) that they also always have a part of their cage/run that is in the shade.

When it gets warmer I will use shutters, awnings, etc to make sure they are not in direct sun.
Basically if it feels hot to me then they need to be in the shade.

Bradshaw Piggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We have always had horses and on windy days the hay would end up all down the drive making the grass look messy! It's best to just rake it up :)

Tara95

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It's really based on temperature.

Right now I am not fussed about the animals (rabbits, guinea pig and hamster) having some direct sun, as it is still quite cool.
However I make sure (whether they are inside or outside) that they also always have a part of their cage/run that is in the shade.

When it gets warmer I will use shutters, awnings, etc to make sure they are not in direct sun.
Basically if it feels hot to me then they need to be in the shade.
Thank you 😊

eileen

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
I put a fleece pad down with hay on,this seems to contain most of it.I've a messy garden,more weeds than neat grass.it's needs turf relaying.you could use a cardboard box.puppy pad.it's what works best for you !