• Issues with online booking at The Cat & Rabbit Clinic in Northampton. Read more here
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Messy pig!

Hailz81

Junior Guinea Pig
Hi al,
New owner so after sone advixe. I have a long haired guinea pig boy. Hes a messy sod! He poos and wees in his bedding then sits in it! With him being long haired its obvs starting to be come a prob in terms of his fur being wet and stinky and mats of hair. I obvs cant bath him too much. Any tips? Suggestions? He has hay for bedding at the moment i wanted to get him a soft cushioned bed but it would be runed? Any avice greatly appreciated x

Merab's Slave

Forum Donator 2017/18
When I had a long haired pig I had to trim the fur around her bum because of this.
There are quite a few slaves to long haired piggies who will have lots of experience and advice to share

Flutterby

PHOTO COMPETITION WINNER
Forum Donator 2017/18
With my long haired pigs I clip all around their bum and back legs to make sure they can stay clean.

Hailz81

Junior Guinea Pig
Thanks hes still v nervous and gets a bit distrssed when i do things like wash him etc think i might take him to pets at home let them cut him short and clip his nails x

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Mine has a little outey after his neutering so he actually pee's directly down one leg as well so one sides worse that the other. He gets a regular bum trim. I plonk him on the counter and keep offering veggie treats while I patiently and carefully trim round the edges, the only difficult part is underneath as I do need to hold him up for that but he's getting used to it and a lot better with it now