• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Metacam dosage

Laura 1899

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I know that dosages have been discussed, but I just wanted some advice really. My 2 year old boy Graham is on Metcam or Meloxidyl (it varies depending on what the vet has). He weighs 1.24kg and at first was only prescribed 0.2ml of the 0.5mg cat Meloxidyl. It had no effect on his pain (he is in pain when going to poo and has ulcers sometimes on his willy which no vet seems to have ever seen before). I then requested a stronger dose so it went up to 0.4ml which still has no effect but the vets say this is the highest he can go on.

I am confused as another vet I have emailed on facebook said he can have 1ml.

After reading comments on this forum it seems he can have more too. I hate seeing him in so much pain. I know he cannot be on Metacam for years but being on & off of it since May 2020 at such a low dose has not helped at all.

Any advice gratefully received. He has just had his urine tested for crystals but waiting to hear back. The exotic vets have no idea either what is wrong with him (after my vets have contacted them for help).

Thank you

My Christian is on 0.5ml Dog Metacam twice a day for arthritis in his back. He is on it long term. I have reduced this from 0.7ml dog Metacam twice a day.

Oh poor Graham!
Same sort of thing from my vet and it would be split morning and evening doses so like half at 7am and half at 7pm rather than all in one go - something to do with faster metabolism. Is that the same for you @furryfriends (TEAS) ?

A stupid suggestion but if he is on washable bedding do you use biological powder/liquid? The residue can linger and if he pees where he lays maybe this can trigger ulcers on the non-furry bits? I only ask because my mum (who is not super-sensitive) tried a new 'eco-friendly' laundry liquid thinking it would be gentle on the skin as well as the planet and it turned out to have enzymes in. The skin of her arms flared up in tiny red, weeping sores where it was in contact with her sleeves (which must have had residue on), and it took some weeks to get over it.

They don't get STDs do they? Or do they!

Oh poor Graham!
Same sort of thing from my vet and it would be split morning and evening doses so like half at 7am and half at 7pm rather than all in one go - something to do with faster metabolism. Is that the same for you @furryfriends (TEAS) ?

A stupid suggestion but if he is on washable bedding do you use biological powder/liquid? The residue can linger and if he pees where he lays maybe this can trigger ulcers on the non-furry bits? I only ask because my mum (who is not super-sensitive) tried a new 'eco-friendly' laundry liquid thinking it would be gentle on the skin as well as the planet and it turned out to have enzymes in. The skin of her arms flared up in tiny red, weeping sores where it was in contact with her sleeves (which must have had residue on), and it took some weeks to get over it.

We would give 0.5 ml, twice daily, morning and evening.

I had my 1 kg Dylan put on 0.5 ml dog metacam (i.e. 1.5 ml cat metacam) twice daily for a month in combination with a very strongc antibiotic when he developed a jaw abscess just before Christmas that had not yet come up enough to be lanced and in view of us visiting close family abroad for the holidays. Thankfully the combination did the trick and the abscess has settled down completely.

Hi everyone sorry for late response. Graham's wee sample came back fine so no crystals. It is definately when he is pooing he squeaks and whimpers and arches his back then a poo comes out. However he does get ulcers on his willy which I have to wash & put F10 cream there and up his bum.

Oh poor Graham!

I don;t think they can get STDs and no he has been on numerous types of bedding as it was collecting up his bum too but at the moment if I use Snowflake wood shavings then a thick layer of hay we have stopped that issue! Thank you all for replying. Next step is Xrays to see what is happening. It is not every day though. It is so odd. It can happen for days on end with him squeaking at least twice a day or twice an hour some nights (he is in my bedroom) to nothing for a week. I have tried stopping certain foods and he is now on oxbow guinea pig food. He is having filtered water as we live in a high calcium area. Nothing has helped apart from his bum is not as bunged up with hay and shavings! Touch wood we are OK at the moment again!

I think they can get IBS as some members have posted about this... and there are other things that can cause IBS-type symptoms (Giardia? It's a parasite not a bacterium) but I have no experience of that. Perhaps try searching the forum posts for IBS and see if anything rings true for poor Graham. Healing wheeks from us ❤

Our vet would prescribe up to 0.5 ml of dog metacam for a guinea pig of the weight of your boy. That equates to 1.5ml of cat metacam, as it is 1/3 of the strength of dog metacam.
thanks, i will give this. i have no idea why they are insisting it is 0.4ml maximum of the cat dose for him?

We would give 0.5 ml, twice daily, morning and evening.
would that be 0.5ml of the dog one? And is Meloxidyl & Metacam exactly the same? As the vet said to give one a rest for a day before starting the new bottle of the other?

would that be 0.5ml of the dog one? And is Meloxidyl & Metacam exactly the same? As the vet said to give one a rest for a day before starting the new bottle of the other?
They are basically the same, so not sure why they’re suggesting you wait a day. I can’t tell you what dose you should be giving as I’m not a vet, but I can tell you what dose our vet has prescribed. For more extreme cases we give 0.5ml, twice daily, although for more routine issues we would be prescribed around 0.3ml to 0.4ml of dog Metacam/Loxicom, twice daily.

Back