• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Middle ear infection

chezzab0

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone hope your all well ... pickle suddenly I mean sat pm to Sunday am suddenly tilted her head to the side No outward signs of illness before this could hardly stand or walk I stayed awake with her all night sat night with her on my chest feeding her crisis support as she was t able to lift her head to eat or drink I managed to find a small animal hospital in bishopstortford Herts to see her early sunday who diagnosed middle ear infection the right side has slowly woth baytril and metacam painkillers began to bring itself back up .. thank god and although she’s still on 10 mls crisis support it’s only really to top her appetite up what I wanted to no and my vets waiting to her from the royal college of vets is she must of had her head in the hat and a piece of hay go into her eye when her head went down on the right side she Got her self a ulcer and is on eye drops which are improving this day by day just so slowly as is with all pig recovery does anyone think the eye and middle ear could of been connected threw the infection which is what the vets asking the vets college about as I’m thinking I’f it is She will need antibiotic eye drops has anyone had to deal with this in a pig xx 5 nights of every 4 hours Ive done this week to keep her going with food any view on middle ear would be great to know cheryl xx

I'm sorry to hear your girl has been ill. I don’t know if the ear infection could have also affected the eye, but I’m glad it’s getting better. Several members on here have had to syringe feed an ill piggy round the clock. As well as having to apply eye drops several times a day (@Betsy ). Have you been weighing her daily at the same time? What is her weight like - maintaining or losing?

I’ll tag @PigglePuggle @Piggies&buns @Wiebke

Meg had such a bad and deep ulcer she needed 3 lots of eye drops 3 times a day for 5 weeks before it was totally better. Keep at it your piggies eye will get better. It just takes time. What eye drops were you given? The Metacam will help with the pain in her eye too.

Hi everyone hope your all well ... pickle suddenly I mean sat pm to Sunday am suddenly tilted her head to the side No outward signs of illness before this could hardly stand or walk I stayed awake with her all night sat night with her on my chest feeding her crisis support as she was t able to lift her head to eat or drink I managed to find a small animal hospital in bishopstortford Herts to see her early sunday who diagnosed middle ear infection the right side has slowly woth baytril and metacam painkillers began to bring itself back up .. thank god and although she’s still on 10 mls crisis support it’s only really to top her appetite up what I wanted to no and my vets waiting to her from the royal college of vets is she must of had her head in the hat and a piece of hay go into her eye when her head went down on the right side she Got her self a ulcer and is on eye drops which are improving this day by day just so slowly as is with all pig recovery does anyone think the eye and middle ear could of been connected threw the infection which is what the vets asking the vets college about as I’m thinking I’f it is She will need antibiotic eye drops has anyone had to deal with this in a pig xx 5 nights of every 4 hours Ive done this week to keep her going with food any view on middle ear would be great to know cheryl xx

Hi!

It is very difficult to say - both the ears and eye cavities are linked to the nasal/respiratory tract. I can just be a very unlucky coincidence as I have never heard of a bad poke causing an ear infection before. Odds are more likely that the hay poke happened because of the ear infection/head tilt than the other way round.

All the best for getting her through a double whammy!

Does anyone know if Zithromax is any good for middle ear infection baytril has brought her head up and improved her by 50 % but she seems to been Plattooed wrong spelling sorry I used azithromycin ( Zithromax for pig pneumonia Christmas time didn’t no if I should suggest it for this any ideas she’s has ear cleaned and large lump wax removed before ear has to be drained I like to know all antibiotics that are tried and none to work for middle ear which is a hard to get to place for antibiotics thanks for help Cheryl

Does anyone know if Zithromax is any good for middle ear infection baytril has brought her head up and improved her by 50 % but she seems to been Plattooed wrong spelling sorry I used azithromycin ( Zithromax for pig pneumonia Christmas time didn’t no if I should suggest it for this any ideas she’s has ear cleaned and large lump wax removed before ear has to be drained I like to know all antibiotics that are tried and none to work for middle ear which is a hard to get to place for antibiotics thanks for help Cheryl

I am very sorry but if you want to target the response only a lab test with a swab with tell you which antibiotic would be the best. anything else is unfortunately all restricted to the guessing level.

PLEASE keep any questions and updates to your designated support threat. We are doing this for free in our own free time so nobody can be expected to see and read every thread and keep the whole background and all details in mind as we jump between lots of different issues every single day. The more different threads you start, the more confusion you create and the less valid any answers.

I am merging your thread pertaining to the same case.

Back