• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Midwest Habitat for 2 Boars

PuineaGigs03

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I'm considering buying the Midwest Habitat cage for my two boys, Cheese and Pickle. I've read in some places that it's too small for two male guinea pigs, and in others that it's fine. Will it provide enough room for them? I have a run for them to use indoors and outdoors as well. I know there are some lovely big C & C cages, but I'm a bit pushed for space so the Habitat would be ideal. Do you think it would be alright?

Hello, I'm considering buying the Midwest Habitat cage for my two boys, Cheese and Pickle. I've read in some places that it's too small for two male guinea pigs, and in others that it's fine. Will it provide enough room for them? I have a run for them to use indoors and outdoors as well. I know there are some lovely big C & C cages, but I'm a bit pushed for space so the Habitat would be ideal. Do you think it would be alright?
The Midwest is the very minimum size reccomened by the RSPCA for piggies, however boys are very territorial and so a bigger cage is better, 180cmx60cm is what the forum recommends for two boys, you could obviously go for a more square cage if you don’t have 180cm in length as long as the square footage is the same!

Unfortunately it's just under the minimum for two guinea pigs. So it's not suitable for a pair of boars. They need more space as they're more territorial. The minimum for boars is 150x60cm but we recommend 180x60cm.

Yes I agree with the others. A Midwest cage is not suitable for two boars – they need a cage much bigger than that - 180cm x 60cm is needed. 150cm x 60cm is the absolute minimum for two boars (but that may not be enough for some boars)

(120 x 60 (which is the measurement of a Midwest) is the minimum for two sows)

Cage Size Guide

Thank you for your advice everybody, it looks like the Midwest isn't the right option. I'll see if I can find something bigger. Thank you all for your help!

If you are looking for a commercial cage, then the ferplast plaza 160cm is the biggest, I believe, commercial cage available. Its obviously a little over the minimum for two boars and smaller than the recommended cage size, but is the biggest option if you are primarily in need of a commercial cage.
A c&c cage is the other option and in that case a 5 grid by 2 grid cage is the size that would be needed.

I have a Midwest with a 1x2 c&c extension. I just took off one of the front panels and attached the c&c. I still think it's a little small but a good solution

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 21
Back