• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

mild diarrhoea, any help suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

piggie luvin vi

i am doing all i can for her, shes drinking quite alot she eating her hay shes being kept nice and warm and we are cleaning her regulally to make sure she isnt in a mess! she has been icolated now, she looks very livly and alert so i think she might com through! she has been given a tiny bit of banana to try and thicken her poop a bit, and she is looking alot better for it! anything else i can do? i have looked everywere for anything that has helped

vi xx

once when one of my piggies had mild diarrhoea we gave then a small bit of human tablet, made into a powder and mixed with water then syringe fed, can't remember the name at the mo..

It helped a lot and they were soon back to their old selves

Kelly and piggies xx

yea, we need the name and then we can go get some, Kaolin has been reccomended to me, so i will make sure i get some of that tomorrow for her

vi xx

Diocalm still got it in the cupboard! Works really well and is quick

Kelly and piggies xx

I would reccomend that you read the "Piggy Potions" book and follow what Peter Gurney suggests.

Make sure too that your piggie is getting plenty of water to keep them from getting dehydrated.

Read Peter Gurney's Webpage on Diarrhoea...

http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/diarrhoea.htm

Hope it clears up soon!

i have read that ellie, was speaking to you on msn, and said i have! anything else i can do for her? i have just siringe fed her some water just to make sure she is hydrated, as the water bottle doesnt give much water out at a time! she is still looking ok though

vi xx

Did you suddenly introduce a new food, feed a lot of fresh grass, or give moldy hay? I would not feed any veggies, have hay available at all times, and have the pig seen by a vet ASAP.

Yeah I know you told me but I think following that books advice is the best thing to do.

I am sure things will go ok for your piggie. Esp if she is looking ok at the moment!

Have just phoned Lucinda and she will be getting on line, as one of hers had upset tummy too. Hope all is going well, and your piggy is getting better.
Caroline

and here I am! Try syringe feeding him with natural yoghurt. It will help restore the balance of probiotics and has been OKed by two vets. I found it helped and my guinea quite liked it. There is also a medicine you can get from the vet - I've forgotten what it is, but you dissolve the powder in water and syringe it in. Not popular though!

we seringed mashed up banana to her and she seems to like it! we have been told it wud thicked up her poop!

You can give them some arrowroot powder mixed with water by syringe to help with an upset tummy. I'd try this before using anything like Diocalm as this can mask the problem rather than cure it. Also try and with hold veggies etc for 24 hours and limit their diet to dry food and hay. Make sure they drink plenty of water too!

Anyone reading my post?

"Did you suddenly introduce a new food, feed a lot of fresh grass, or give moldy hay? I would not feed any veggies, have hay available at all times, and have the pig seen by a vet ASAP."

How your piggy today? If your piggy still got diarrhoea I would personally take them to the vets just on the safe side. Thats if your vet is a good piggy vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back