Miniature Peruvian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nina

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone else had come across particularly tiny guinea pigs?

I got my two girls in Feburary and they've always been slightly on the smaller side, however after a couple of months they just stopped growing. They're both happy and healthy and eat tons, just miniature. Rose, my black and white Peru is the smaller of the two and she weighs in at 1.5lbs (0.680kg) and can quite comfortably sit in my hand (see picture). Pumpkin is slightly bigger, somewhere between rose and my 'normal sized' Peruvian boy she lives with, but Rose is just teeny. I'm not worried as she's a happy girl, but just curious if it's a common occurrence (:

Attachments

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
Guinea pigs can vary quite a bit in size. How old are the girls? Their growing rate slows down after the first few months. I have a girl coming up on 12 months old and she's only 750g. As long as they are healthy and have a good coverage of weight (whilst not being overweight) then I wouldn't worry too much! :D

7squeakers.

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
:agr: with Flutterby. My two Aby sisters, Beano and Dandy (2.5 years old) , differ quite a bit in size. Dandy has grown into a great big fat lump, but Beano is a lot smaller and lighter. Both very happy ( I hope) and healthy!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone else had come across particularly tiny guinea pigs?

I got my two girls in Feburary and they've always been slightly on the smaller side, however after a couple of months they just stopped growing. They're both happy and healthy and eat tons, just miniature. Rose, my black and white Peru is the smaller of the two and she weighs in at 1.5lbs (0.680kg) and can quite comfortably sit in my hand (see picture). Pumpkin is slightly bigger, somewhere between rose and my 'normal sized' Peruvian boy she lives with, but Rose is just teeny. I'm not worried as she's a happy girl, but just curious if it's a common occurrence (:
How old are your girls? Guinea pigs typically reach their adult weight and size at around 15 months of age. The normal adult weight ranges from around 800-1500g, but there are can be healthy adults that are above or below. So called runts (small babies that will always tay small than normal) are typical for later and/or large litters, especially in overbreeding or breeding in bad conditions. They can still have a normal and hapy life.
This thread can help you find out whether your girl is fine in herself for her weight. My Papi, who was rescue born to a newly rescued pregnant mum from surroundings as bad as the can come, was stuck on 650g for several months, but eventually she has crept in at just over 800g. She is now 900g at the peak of her life (2-4 years old).
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...ng-ideal-weight-overweight-underweight.38805/

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So pretty! Guinea pigs can range in size... my littlest one, Frenzy, was a tiny little abyssinian who never weighed two pounds even at her largest. Yet I've seen some HUGE abbys, it's not a breed thing, she was just small. She had very petite facial structure, in some pictures her face almost looked like a hamster! Depending on the age, she may not yet be done growing... they can grow to a year or slightly more and then may continue to.... widen.... for a bit of time after that. My pigs seemed to hit maximum weight around 2 to 4 or so, old enough to stop growing, young enough to have lots of muscle tone and no wasting that comes with age.

Nina

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, the girls are roughly seven months old so maybe they'll have a growth spurt yet!
Rose is such a delicate little thing, so maybe she'll just be a petite little lady. Some of her behaviour suggests that she has visual problems, so it could have been a developmental thing but her sister was also small so who knows! As long as they're happy and healthy I don't mind. I was just curious as to how unusual dinkies are (:

Status
Not open for further replies.