minipigs weight gain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
i have picked up my 2 new minipigs a couple of days ago(a bit early as they are only 4weeks and a couple of days old) from my friend as her indoor cage simply couldnt hold all 7 guineas and she had no way to separate them. they are in my indoor cage now and are doing very well. they were completely weaned by mum and have been very independant with eating and drinking from the bottle etc. they are a good size and are very energetic. completely fearless due to being very well handled every day to ensure they are happy and contented piggies.

i have been weighing them daily to make sure they are putting on weight and they seem to be gaining at an astonishing rate. on sunday they weighed 200g and 260g, 24 hours later and they weigh 250g and 310g, today they are 300g and 320g. their mummy was a rescue who my friend took in and kept hold of as she was told she was pregnant but the old owner just wanted rid of her, she is a very small pig and was very young to be bred from. these 2 minipigs were from a litter of 5, but even so they were all fairly large newborns. is this kind of weight gain normal? or is it likely due to their sibling rivalry when trying to get to the food in the overcrowded nursery cage with the other 3 babies, mum and her neutered boar cage mate?

they are now happily mixing with my other 2 sows, and all is going well, they have lots of time together. i put them out in the big hutch altogether for a few hours during the middle of the day so they can stretch their legs and enjoy a bit more space then its back inside in their indoor cage as its gets too chilly for the little girls outside. they are also helping my other 2 sows come out of their shell a bit so its really worked out well. i even caught one of the older sows popcorning in the 7ft hutch this morning, until she saw me and she ran for cover. the first popcorn ive seen either of them do :) though I'm not sure if that was the babies cheering them up or they are just enjoying a decent sized home :))

Status
Not open for further replies.