• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Miss. Treacle; June 2008 - August 6th 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

PottyForPiggies

*Secret Santa*
Reaction score
My dearest Miss. Treacle, let me tell you a story. It's the story of you my baby.

When you were just a little baby piggie, no more than 2 months old, I found you in a pet shop. You and your 'sister' Fudge were my first piggies as an adult, you were my 19th birthday present from my then-partner. There was another piggie who had very similar colouring, but with her tan stripes on the other side. I had to follow you around the cage to make sure that I definitely got you. You were the cutest little baby, with your little white foot :)
Baby Treacle.jpg
You were such a happy little girl. You and Fudge were the best of friends and even shared matching illnesses - when you got conjunctivitis, you gave it to her and then she gave it right back to you. You were so good when it came to having your medicine.
You loved nothing more than catching the sun, and I don't even know how you managed to get up here, but you were determined to sunbathe!
Sunbathing Treacle.jpg
When you were a silly girl and threw yourself out of the top storey of your hutch, Daddy cuddled you and made sure you were OK. You were never the brightest of piggies, always so frantic about food that you sometimes forgot your dignity and about your own safety.
Treacle and Nick.jpg
When Fudge passed away unexpectedly in 2012, you didn't do very well. You were sad and lonely without your friend. You still ate and drank but you really weren't yourself. We needed to find you a friend. Fudge passing away was how I found this forum and learnt all about rescues. My desire to make you happy again gave me my passion for rescues and has helped so many other piggies.
We took you on a road trip to find a friend, and you came home with Bernadette. Finally, you were in charge and you had a friend again who made you feel so happy. It was like a totally different piggie!
Treacle and Bernadette.jpg
You took her under your wing and showed her how life was in York. You loved her like a sister and, even though you didn't cuddle a huge amount, we knew you were lost without each other. One day you just stopped eating for some reason. We don't know why to this day, but you decided you didn't want anything. We were so scared and took the best care of you. We didn't expect you to survive when the vet couldn't find anything wrong. In the end you started peeing blood and once we knew what was wrong we could treat you. But you missed your friend dearly.
Treacle and Bernadette 2.jpg
You lived happily with her for years. You had your share of illnesses - you got a couple of eye ulcers but we always got you better. When Bernadette was poorly, you took care of her as well as we did. You loved your daddy dearly as well as me, your mummy. You always got comfortable with Daddy and he loved nothing more than just relaxing with you. One time you really fell fast asleep on him!
Sleepy Treacle.jpg
Mummy got her fair share of cuddles too, and snuggling up in the bed on a morning made her incredibly happy.
Cuddles.jpg
At the end of 2014 we found out about Lumpy. We thought that was it, you wouldn't be here for more than a couple of months and then either you would go on your own or we would have to make the decision. But you fought, oh you fought my angel, and you never let it get the better of you. When it grew, you worked around it. When you punctured it, you took the baths with grace and when it shrunk, you were more comfortable and were like your own self again.
You occasionally kicked up a fuss about being weighed, poked and prodded, but it never lasted long. You just wanted an extra cuddle!
Treacle in cardigan.jpg
But sadly, no matter how much we were convinced you were winning, we had to remember that you were old, and eventually you would struggle. You lost weight, and Lumpy kept fighting back, starting the bleeding again and wearing you down. So this morning, when you had come up for a little cuddle, and I noticed you were bleeding quite badly even with no prodding, we came for a little bath. I tried to make it easier with some pepper but you nearly choked on it and I had to prize it out of your mouth. Your weight had plummeted and your back legs weren't that strong anymore. I sadly had to make the choice to take you to the vets. Mummy and Daddy and Bernadette stayed with you to the end, we were all heartbroken. We think Bernadette had known for a couple of days because you were cuddling her much more than you normally did. She didn't react much when she came out to say goodbye to you, she must have known. Saying goodbye to you was the first time I had ever seen your Daddy cry. I have been crying all day. I look over to your hutch and I see just 1 piggie when there should be 2. I think 'who is going to tell us when breakfast is late?'. I could hear your noisy little squeaks upstairs in my room from all the way downstairs, and I will miss them so very much. Bernadette is sleeping where you used to, resting her head on the cosy like you did. I remember you running the entire length of the sofa desperate for food, like the little diva you are :) Now it is sore and painful and leaves an incredible raw pain in my heart that will take a long time to heal. I miss your little face with so much character. I miss your kisses where you constantly give my fingers little licks. I miss your snuggles and your cuddles and the way you looked at me. I will never forget you my gorgeous girl.
You are free my baby, you can be happy and comfortable and I will see you again some day. I love you so so much xxxxx
Last Treacle.jpg

What a wonderful tribute to a very special and much love piggy! Your first piggies are always extra special. it doesn't matter how long they have been with you because they open the door to a magic world. Treacle has had a very long and happy life with you, but it doesn't make it any easier to let go.

RIP Treacle

I came downstairs this morning and sorted out breakfast - walked into complete silence :( I nearly broke down in a heap because there should be noise, there should be squeaks. The silence was deafening :(

Had me in tears. I am so very sorry Lauren. I know nothing I can say will help take away the pain. She had the best of life with you and her dad, you all fought so hard for her and are an absolute credit. Try and hold onto the fact she is in no more pain now and remember the amazing bond you shared. In time the rawness of loss will fade and you'll remember the good times.

The first week is the worst, I dreaded coming downstairs and feeding times. Over time you will find a new normal. Massive hugs to you both x x x

Sleep well pretty girl
RIP Treacle
x x

Thank you everyone. Because Bernadette is naturally very timid, quiet and shy, it's hard to tell whether she's OK or not. She seems to be OK but I miss Treacle so much :( She's been part of my life longer than my husband has, it's very hard to get past :(

Lauren, that was the most beautiful and heart wrenching tribute to your girl. You have done her so proud. She was so well loved, it's just such a shame we can't make them immortal and keep them forever. Each time we lose one a piece of our hearts goes with them. Big hugs to you. Popcorn free Miss Treacle xx

I'm so very sorry for your loss. That's such a lovely tribute, you nearly had me crying. I hope the pain and sadness passes soon and you only smile when you think of her. You and your family are in my thoughts xx

I'm so sorry for your loss :( I was devastated to see the update on her H&I thread, so sad it had to come to this.

Sleep tight little Treacle, the fight is over and now you're free to start a whole new adventure x

What about beautiful tribute! RIP Treacle. You certainly had experience the most beautiful love anyone could give to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back