• Winter is here! Make sure you piggies are safe by taking action now, for more information on cold weather protection - Click Here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Missing hair patch. Please help

Jmarie7

New Born Pup
Hello, I noticed a couple days ago that my daughters piggie has a patch of hair missing on her cheek. I have been checking it every day for any change but so far it has stayed the same. Any advise would be wonderful. Thank you.

Wheekallweek

Teenage Guinea Pig
I’d get her checked out by a vet for possible fungal infection or parasites. Is it swollen or scabby? Do you have a picture? :)

Jmarie7

New Born Pup
I did notice a very small scab yesterday but it’s gone now. I read that you can use anti fungal cream and dab it on.

Merab's Slave

Forum Donator 2017/18
Welcome to the forum .
You have a gorgeous piggy.
A vet check is always wise with any concern.
Don’t use over the counter creams on spec - they really don’t help and could disguise a real problem.
A proper vet diagnosis is best and they will prescribe any meds needed.
This is probably a good time to start a vet fund as costs can be quite high and you never know when it will be needed.
Please let us know how things go

Wheekallweek

Teenage Guinea Pig
I’d definitely get that checked, it does look swollen to me. Can you feel a lump, or any heat there?
I wouldn’t treat with any creams etc on spec as it may make it more difficult for the vet to diagnose it.
Is she eating ok? Acting ok in herself?

Wiebke

Staff member
I did notice a very small scab yesterday but it’s gone now. I read that you can use anti fungal cream and dab it on.
Hi and welcome!

Please have your piggy for ringworm.
Please DO NOT treat on spec with DIY creams as they do not reach the full affected area and will not prevent any further outbreaks. Ringworm is highly infectious and transmittable (including humans). You really do not want to mess around with that and turn it into a never ending saga.
One of my adoptees is a vet surrender for euthanasia due to inadequate home treatment that resulted in an advanced case of ringworm. All it took was a course of appropriate oral treatment at a sanctuary he was referred to bring him back to full health. :(

Are you aware that you can reclaim any vet cost in new guinea pigs from a pet shop since exposure and infection has happened there and customer rights for having been sold damaged ware apply, including how long after purchase this applies.
Please take the time to read this guide here. It tells you exactly what you can do and how you go about it. What to check and look out for in new guinea pigs (vet checks, sexing, parasites&illness)

Please save up for vet fees as part of the weekly maintenance cost including food and bedding right from the start. Illness and emergencies never happen at a good time, but you really do not want to live with the knowledge that you have let any pets in your care suffer unnecessarily or even die in the long term.

Jmarie7

New Born Pup
Thank you all for your input. This is Princess Celestia. ( my daughter loves My Little Pony) I hope it is not ringworm! Poor baby. She is eating normal but she has been more agitated lately. She bit me and my husband. At the time we thought nothing of it but now I’m wondering if it is because of this illness. I had them ( we have three) vet checked when we brought them home in December. I will give them a call today. Below are our three little pigs LuLu, Carnage ( son is a Spider-Man fan plus she has red eyes) and Princess.

Attachments