• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Misty and Missy's story..

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonBon2010

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Misty and her sister were Chocolate fox sows, who I bought from Manchester about 6 years ago.. They were in a big cage, with glass panels instead of wire mesh, and also still with their brothers at 9 weeks of age..
It took what seemed like eternity to find a sow.. she was Misty.. I brought her home, and on immediate inspection (I had an idea at the pet shop) found she was expecting.. I phoned the pet shop and asked if there was any other females in the cage with her. They said there was only her.. but I seemed to remember a white blazed female, as that's who they'd mentioned when I first got there... I came away with the wrong pig so to speak..
I went back the next day, asking about this sow, and they said they'd identified her, and found her to be in pup.. I asked if I could take her, and at first they said no, but when I told them I used to breed them, and know what I'm doing, and that I felt a shop environment was no place for her to be in, as it would be really stressful, they relented, and let me bring her home..
They had already named her Missy, and I felt that suited her quite well..
All seemed well with the sisters, they were a healthy weight, and I monitored them both, and thought they were probably 4-5 weeks pregnant..
Fast forward 3 weeks.. Boxing day.. Misty went into labour, and distress, as the first baby was stuck.. I rushed her to the vets, and I'm afraid I had to force her to abort the litter.. they never had a chance, and I had to put her first.. 3 pups, all born dead:0 She made a good recovery, and I feel this probably was the best outcome for her, as she was so young..
Missy, on the other hand, went on to have a healthy litter of 3, two girls and a boy.. I re-homed the girls to a work colleague, and kept the boy..

Aww, poor pups. It's good that you managed to get the girls away from that shop in that situation or they'd have had no chance, poor little things. It's a shame that the pups died, but at least it wasn't poor mum :(.

Thanks for sharing :)

Aww poor little one's, you have such a kind heart, glad the piggies found a loving home with you, and got rehomed to a loving family :) Hope the boy is doing well, and is getting lots of huggles! :)

Misty was true to type, Missy had a white blaze, but her babies were more steered towards Misty's colouring.. where as Misty's litter had large white patches, so maybe a genetic problem? There's always a reason why a litter doesn't make it, in this case I think it was one of her brothers that was the dad, hence maybe birth defects were behind them not making it..8...

Aww poor little one's, you have such a kind heart, glad the piggies found a loving home with you, and got rehomed to a loving family :) Hope the boy is doing well, and is getting lots of huggles! :)

They all died prematurely.. Misty had what I think is was cancer of the lymph nodes, and died of respiratory distress at 3 and a half (brought on by steriods injection).. Missy died of renal failure at 3.. the little boy died at 2 of renal failure.. It upsets me that these lot died so young.. I can only think something went wrong when they were bred:0

They did have a good life, just a sad ending.. I think I got this thread a bit backwards there? I have a video of them running around the front room, popcorning, but alas, its a vhs, and camcorder size, plus analogue, and Oh, thinks it will be a pain to transfer8...but it's the only footage I have left8...8...

Ah bless. Poor little ones, it's a shame they couldn't spend longer with you :(. It's probably brought on from in-breeding. At least they had a good few years with you.

I had the same sort of thing with some kittens we rescued. They were abandoned by a bin only weeks old, couldn't see etc. Both died of kidney problems aged one and one and a half :(. I believe that must have been genetical or because they were abandoned before they were ready to be separated from mum and had to be hand-reared.

I am sorry that you lost both so young and that Misty lost her litter - at least you knew what you were about and could save her own life; and they had a wonderful life with you.

Both my (first) shop piggies died at three years old, as well. Mischief (nickname Missy :) ) had congenital cataracts and Minx a recurring bladder stone problem.

I suspect that indiscriminate breeding plays a big role in many early deaths, especially of special breeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back