• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Mite Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavy Lover

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello
Quick questions. I had Cookie and Beano treated for mites early last year. How many times do pigs have to be treated for mites? Once a month or year? Or is it just when you suspect they have mites?
Thanks

Lilly

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
I don't believe it's a regular thing t do. They should only be treated when they have mites. As far as I know there is no preventative like fleas for dogs.

Lilly

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Thanks @Lilly. I was wondering whether to go out and get some.
Here they sell a supposed mite spray to prevent mites but it is only pyrethrin for insects, does not work on mites & is a waste of money. I used it for 2 years before I discovered from the vet it was useless. Just something the pet shop sells.

Cavy Lover

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Here they sell a supposed mite spray to prevent mites but it is only pyrethrin for insects, does not work on mites & is a waste of money. I used it for 2 years before I discovered from the vet it was useless. Just something the pet shop sells.
I know it is so annoying when that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.