• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Mites And Fungal Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellbell

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm just wanting to discuss a few things and get some opinions.
I have 3 girls. 2 of them I have has since baby's. No skin or health problems.
The newest one (Evie) I have had for a little over a month.
A few weeks after I got her I noticed fungal on her foot. Bathed them all in Malaseb and used a dip called imaverol. Seems to of worked and no signs of fungal.
I'm beginning to think there are small signs of mites (I could just be over worried)
It looks a little like tiny white skin flakes. Not obvious but just a little.
I was wondering if treating them all with puppy/kitten revolution will hurt?
My first 2 girls had a dose about 4 months ago as the vet suggested it even though they showed no signs.
Is there any skin treatments people do to prevent fungal and mites?
Where I live it also rains a lot so I'm wondering if this is the cause.
I clean and use vinegar frequently.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
In a warm, moist climate, fungal is usually more of a problem than mites.

There are now signs that mange mites are starting to develop resistance to the drugs that have finally been found to kill them instead of just keeping them at bay at the best, so I would be careful about treating too much as a precaution or on spec, as you will support this process. I would rather treat full on if your guinea pigs really have been diagnosed with mange mites. If you treat promptly and correctly once they really come down with them, mites can be gotten on top of pretty straight forwardly.

helen105281

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
It doesn't sound like mites to me, mange mites you wouldn't see anyway as they are under the skin. It could be dry skin, what breed is she? How many baths and dips did she have and for how long?

Status
Not open for further replies.