• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Mites & Lice

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michele

Can you treat piggies with a spray on a regular basis to prevent mites and lice?

If so anyone recommend one?

I know if piggies get mites they need injections and I also NOW know lice are treated with a spray. I thought they were treated also with injections but no its spray. I just want to prevent this from happening again.

I'm always learning something new about our piggies even though I have had them nearly 4 years there is always something new. I always say you learn more when it actually happens to you.

Michele

Hi Michelle

my own personal preference is to shampoo piggie is any wrigglies appear. You can use a small pet shampoo specifically designed for it available from most pet stores. i dont like sprays as always worried about the pig breathing it in (and me..cough cough). So prefer to give them a good old shampooing and repeat after the stated time. Piggies always looks nice after a good pamer session ;D

For mites, you can get ivomec (oral kind) which works very well and same as jabs. Plus a lot lot cheaper of course than vet jabs.

As said thats just my preference but know others have different ones so will be interested to know what they think too.

If you want the details of where to get ivomec from please PM as not sure if allowed to post the link on forum. Perhaps one of the moderators can advise.

Deb x

I have just pmed you.

I dont bath my piggies so wanted a spray or droplets to help prevent. Next piggies i get i will definitely bath. If i knew all the stuff i know when i first got them i would of bathed them when they were babies in 2002. But these are my first piggies and you only learn by having experience in these things. LOL

Michele aka Mrs Mod

I use pour on Ivomec and put a drop on the bald patch behind the ear.

As for wrigglies (lice) I will bath the pig and then blowdry it. Most of the wrigglers are washed out in the shampoo and the rest get blown out of the coat by the hairdryer.

Kat

I either bathe mine or spray them (the girls mainly) with a mite and lice spray I got at a Pet shop in town. I will find out who it's made by, as my mum has a bottle.
My girls have not had any lice or mites for years

KatsCavies said:
I use pour on Ivomec and put a drop on the bald patch behind the ear.

As for wrigglies (lice) I will bath the pig and then blowdry it. Most of the wrigglers are washed out in the shampoo and the rest get blown out of the coat by the hairdryer.

Kat

thats exactly what I do and mine have been bug free for years (touch wood)

Mine get a dip when i think they are in need of it, but i have ran out of shampoo can you tell me where i get that Gorgeus guinea stuff from?

Hi...I had a problem with mites/lice last summer with Beryl. Gorgeous Guineas sell Neem oil soaks and shampoos that can help. Another star find of mine is VetSect Repel shampoo (you can order this from your vet) which is a good all round larvicidal and anti-fungal shampoo that you can use all the time in place/as well as your normal piggy shampoo.

A stronger solution is Prioderm Cream (for humans) - it needs to be the cream not the lotion as it needs to be washed off. You need to follow the instructions really closely and not leave it on for longer than necessary as it can be dangerous to piggies if they ingest it. Very good at killing lice though.

More info on lice/mites and their identification/treatment can be found on the Gorgeous Guineas site.

Hope this helps and happy debugging!

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back