• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Mites Mites Mites

Status
Not open for further replies.

samspiggies

New Born Pup
Joined
Jan 24, 2015
Messages
6
Reaction score
1
Points
35
Location
canterbury, Kent
I have a couple of new sows, theyre only young (at around the 6 week mark and weighing around 270g)

One of the girls had some crustyness and a small amount of fur loss around her ear and lower back.I figured it must be mites and so I decided yesterday to treat with Beaphar antiparasite since, although they are slightly below the 300G minimum, the dose is already low and only topical. (150ug in one dose whereas recommended for a 300g piggie is 170ug so i figure the dosage to be about right) also i have used it before on smaller pigs with no adverse reactions.

The only problem is that today it seems to have spread a little bit on her rump. She doesnt seem in any pain at all and it is relatively mild but I wanted to get it treated while she is still ok, especially since she is really a little young and small to be having treatment.
My question is, therefore, how long would you expect it to take to see signs of improvement if the beaphar has worked?

Also how much should i expect the cost of appointment and ivermectin injections to cost from the vets? And would you advise me taking both girls together to get them done or should i just take the one with real signs of it and hope the beaphar protects the other?

Thanks guys!
 

Wiebke

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Mar 10, 2009
Messages
68,124
Reaction score
35,890
Points
3,466
Location
Coventry UK
Hi! It rather sounds like fungal/ringworm, which is unfortunately not all uncommon in shop piggies. Please do not treat on spec, especially not with low dosed ineffective shop treatments that are only geared towards the prevention, but not the treatment of acute cases.

It is important that you see a vet for a proper diagnosis and get good quality products to really get on top of the problem and not make it worse.
We have got a piggy savvy vet locator on the top bar.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-vet-locator/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/ringworm-hygiene-and-pictures.115402/
 

samspiggies

New Born Pup
Joined
Jan 24, 2015
Messages
6
Reaction score
1
Points
35
Location
canterbury, Kent
I was planing to take her to the vet on Monday or Tuesday if it doesn't get any worse, as I really would rather avoid out of hours costs,
The only worry about the vets is that there are no piggy savvy vets within easy distance of me (Nearest would take over an hour on public transport) and so I was hoping if i just went to a local vet (and avoided the risk of getting her cold and stressed as much as possible) i would be able to get the treatment, but I would rather go in with an idea of what to expect.
If i am right ringworm would still be treated with an ivermectin treatment? so either way i can expect the most likely treatment to be ivermectin injection?
Do i take both girls or just the one with the signs of it would you say?
 

Wiebke

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Mar 10, 2009
Messages
68,124
Reaction score
35,890
Points
3,466
Location
Coventry UK
I was planing to take her to the vet on Monday or Tuesday if it doesn't get any worse, as I really would rather avoid out of hours costs,
The only worry about the vets is that there are no piggy savvy vets within easy distance of me (Nearest would take over an hour on public transport) and so I was hoping if i just went to a local vet (and avoided the risk of getting her cold and stressed as much as possible) i would be able to get the treatment, but I would rather go in with an idea of what to expect.
If i am right ringworm would still be treated with an ivermectin treatment? so either way i can expect the most likely treatment to be ivermectin injection?
Do i take both girls or just the one with the signs of it would you say?
Ivermectin will not fully treat ringworm and you would have to wait at least a week before you could switch to higher dosed product. Please have her seen on Monday by a more local vet. He should hopefully be able to see the difference between ringworm and mites. Please be very careful in handling any piggies that have potentially ringworm.
 

samspiggies

New Born Pup
Joined
Jan 24, 2015
Messages
6
Reaction score
1
Points
35
Location
canterbury, Kent
Would it be worth posting a picture at all just to see if people thought mites or ringworm? would just rather go with as much knowledge as possible so I don't end up getting the wrong treatments.
 

samspiggies

New Born Pup
Joined
Jan 24, 2015
Messages
6
Reaction score
1
Points
35
Location
canterbury, Kent
Just in case this is what her back looks like, I just want to be on the safe side and check noone sees anything that makes them think she needs a vet tonight or something.
Like i said she is completely alert and acting as i would expect.
(also she has 2 crests there as she is a peru cross, so it looks like more hairloss than there actually is)
 

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top