• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Mites Or Ringworm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hcgyeo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello!
I got my newest guinea pig, Onyx, just on Monday and she is a little over a month old. Two days after I got her, I noticed a patch of missing hair above her eye that appeared over night. She also had CRAZY dandruff, like when I pet her my shirt gets covered in dead skin. I took her to the vet the next day and he gave her an ivermectin injection. That was only yesterday and the scaly patch has not spread, but seems to have gotten a little more white in color.
While I believe it is mites, a part of me is concerned it may be ringworm. I'm posting some pictures of the patch here. I'd love some experienced opinions of whether this looks like mites or ringworm. Thanks you!

...okay I'm not sure how to post pics here. If you click on this link it'll show the pics. The top two are yesterday right after the vet, the bottom is this morning.

Welcome to the forum, I dont think Mites noramlly starts on face so I would think ringworm. Tagging in @helen105281 @Pebble @Elwickcavies @Abi_nurse for suggestions.

Where are you located? We may be able to suggest a piggy knowledgeable vet

Thank you for your replies!

I live in Utah in the United States and the vet I went to is a pretty acclaimed exotics vet. Have there ever been any instances of mites appearing first on the face? I read the thread you sent me and Onyx's hairless patch doesn't super match what the article pictured and described. There's no blood or secretions of any type, and there's no hint of red in color anywhere. It's just white and very, very dry looking.

I haven't come across mange mites on the face personally but I am sure I have heard of cases where it has happened. I think there is also a possibility or ear mites because of the location. Do her ears seem sensitive at all? Maybe give your vet a call and ask about ringworm and see what they say.

Yes her ears do seem sensitive actually. Every time I even gently touch her ears, she shakes her head as if to get me off. If it were mites, how long after the ivermectin injection should I expect to see improvement? And what does the initial stages of improvement look like? Will the skin turn back from white to dark first? I've looked around online and can't seem to find any answers.

Yes her ears do seem sensitive actually. Every time I even gently touch her ears, she shakes her head as if to get me off. If it were mites, how long after the ivermectin injection should I expect to see improvement? And what does the initial stages of improvement look like? Will the skin turn back from white to dark first? I've looked around online and can't seem to find any answers.

Usually treatment is a course of 3 injections at least a week apart and I believe you should start to see a difference after the second injection. I would speak to your vet again.

I have a follow up vet appointment on Friday for her second ivermectin shot so I'll ask about the ringworm then I guess. I hate not knowing :(

I would try to stick to the hygiene measures outlined in the link in case. If it is Ringworm it will start to get worse by then and may start to match the photos.

Best of luck!

Not all mites or fungal cases (ringworm is just one, if the most frequent and aggressive form of fungal) are textbook, and they can look a lot more similar than you'd think. I hope that you and your vet can get to the bottom of it all. Ivermectin can suppress any fungal to some extent, but it won't heal it, so if things don't get better after the second application, you and you vet may want to consider alternatives. You will still need to finish the full course of ivermection and have a third round, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back