• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Mites! So Confused!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chocolatepig14

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My adult peruvian had an outbreak of what the vet took to be mites last September. She lost fur on her rump and her skin became quite raw. He prescribed Xeno 450 and told me to apply a drop to the back of her neck every 2 weeks and it took a while but did clear up.

It has since come back and I applied another drop to the back of her neck. Her skin worsened so I took her back to the vet on Friday (7 days after I applied the Xeno) and the vet gave me 2 more tubes. She appears to be getting worse but I can't apply any more Xeno until this Friday. I have just looked and the second vet has prescribed 1 full vial at a time. Have I not been giving her enough all this time? The vet weighed her so would most people use a full pipette on and adult pig?

Thanks in advance :help:

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm sorry I can't be if help just hope your piggy and yourself are ok

Chocolatepig14

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks. Hate seeing her unwell. If I have been applying a drop when she should have been having a full vial that may be why it isn't clearing up. Roll on Fri and her next treatment. If anybody has any tips to smooth her skin they will be gratefully received!

Pebble

Banned
Reaction score
Please read this thread on a serious condition of mange mites - (and if necessary print out and take to your vet)I
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/candle-lighting-ceremony-for-peter-gurney.124817/

I say this because it is s looking like you might need injections for mange mites
Xeno 450 won;t work for mange mites as it is a topical application

PM me for further info - also happy to talk on the phoneI
I'm also sure my vets will be happy to talk to your vets to ensure your girlie gets the right treatment
We just need to "diplomatically facilitate" that"
x

Chocolatepig14

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I will have a look at that thread, did occur to me she may be misdiagnosed but it did clear up the first time. Looked the dosages up online and it appears I have been giving her 1/20th of the dose she should have been having. Going to ring my vets now and see if I will be ok to apply it tonight. Should be every 14 days and it has only been 10 but then she hasn't had the prescribed amount! Eek!

Coco&Luna

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was given 3 tubes and told to apply 10 drops a fortnight to both my pigs each, which is half one of the tubes of xeno each per fortnight?

Chocolatepig14

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They have checked and she certainly prescribed a full tube. Just waiting on a call back to see if it is safe to apply tonight. Reading up on the mange mites too. Had a piggy years ago that was prone to mites who had ivermectin injected and then we had to bathe him in medicated shampoo. Things seem to have changed since then

Pebble

Banned
Reaction score
@Chocolatepig14
It would do no harm to take a breath and step back for a couple of days.

There are people on this forum who would be very happy to talk to you (on email of on the phone) to enable you to evaluate all the info available on this condition and help you put together a proper care package going forwards of dosages and frequencies etc etc..

Please consider this - and PM if if you want a chat.
x

Chocolatepig14

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Just spoke to the vet who has advised I give her a full vial and as she only had a fraction of that prescribed dose last time has said I can bring it forward! Fingers crossed I will start to see an improvement. I rehomed her as an adult pig and have wondered if this was why her previous owner did not want to keep her

Chocolatepig14

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks @Goth Mummy! That is indeed Phoebe. She wasn't the guinea pig I originally agreed to rehome but she had such beautiful eyes I couldn't say no! Now we have got the right dosage of Xeno she seems to be improving. Her skin is less raw and there is some new hair growth. She is also more lively. Thank you to everybody for the great advice

Status
Not open for further replies.