• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Mites? What to do!?

Pht

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey! I don't really know if my guinea pigs have mites! I'm going to list some of the symptoms.
1. Scratching... A lot
2. Hair loss on the belly legs and side
3. Attacking my other piggies
4. More scared than before
This is what he looks like
1593201588670790626521336120097.jpg

Hey! I don't really know if my guinea pigs have mites! I'm going to list some of the symptoms.
1. Scratching... A lot
View attachment 146548

It’s better to start your own thread as sometimes these older ones get missed.

However, if you suspect mites, then you need to take your piggy to a vet for the correct diagnosis and treatment.

Hey! I need so major help... I'm pretty sure my piggies have mites! I'll list some symptoms of my first guinea pig chip.
1. Hair loss on the belly legs and sides
2. More scared than before
3. Attacking other guinea pigs
4. Being really territorial
5. Scratching... A lot
And then my other guinea pig oreo just has dandruff and is kinda scared of chip.

You need to take your piggy to a vet for the correct diagnosis and and treatment.
The change in behaviour could be because he is uncomfortable (I have seen the picture on the other post you made)

What sex are the piggies?
Have they had a fight which has caused injuries to each other?

1. Scratching... A lot
View attachment 146548
@Pht your guinea pig looks like he has a fairly severe skin issue.
Please have him seen by a vat as soon as possible - he must be very uncomfortable right now, and needs a proper diagnosis and treatment.

I replied in the other thread, but based on the photo there it looks like your guinea pig has a fairly serious skin issue that has been going on for some time.
Chances are he is in a lot of discomfort and suffering, so he needs to see a vet and recive appropriate treatment urgently.
Please make an appointment for him as soon as possible.

My 2 guinea pigs are males. I don't know if they fought each other or it was something else bit Oreo had like a scab on his ear and chip had a cut or scab on my cheek... But they love being with each other because they are bonded and when I separated them they would wine and try to get to the other side (which they did) I think he's aggressive BECAUSE of the mites.

The issue is definitely a skin issue but the fact you said he is attacking the other piggy concerned me as you will need to watch out that fights don’t occur because of his discomfort.

As previously advised though you need to take your piggy to the vet

Ok thank you it was there when we got him and we are going to take him to the vet immediately.

Hey! I need so major help... I'm pretty sure my piggies have mites! I'll list some symptoms of my first guinea pig chip.
1. Hair loss on the belly legs and sides
2. More scared than before
3. Attacking other guinea pigs
4. Being really territorial
5. Scratching... A lot
And then my other guinea pig oreo just has dandruff and is kinda scared of chip.

Hi!

Unfortunately we cannot diagnose online without a hands-on examination (not that we are qualified to so). Please see a vet and don't home treat on spec with low dosed pet shop products. What you mention could apply to hay mites, mange mites, ringworm or ovarian cysts in sows - and that could mean three different treatments.
New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites

It's probably not ringworm because there are no bald patches on the face... Where it starts but thank you

We can’t tell you because we’re not vets and also can’t diagnose by photos or descriptions. But you can be given ideas of what it could be. Best thing is to get your piggy to the vet as mentioned above. Let us know what they say. Whatever it is hopefully it’s easily treatable ☺️

The problem is most vets in my area that are rated decently don't accept new clients because of this virus

Yay!
By the way please can you add your location to your profile. Makes it easier when you’re being given information.

The problem is most vets in my area that are rated decently don't accept new clients because of this virus
Most vets will still take emergencies, so I am sure if you explain how urgent the situation is they will make an appointment for you.

Back