• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Mites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Fur mites?
I just wondered how do you/would you know if your piggies have fur mites? And are fur mites the same as hay mites? And also is this the same as mange mite? Sorry for all the questions just reading about it makes me worry if my piggies might have it and I don't know?

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Mange mites are invisible to the eye but have to be treated quickly. This will tell you more,
http://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html

Then static lice are usually from hay. They are not blood suckers so do not harm. Treatment is a shampoo.
Sorry but what are static lice? So would I be aware if they had mange mites? I'm so sorry for the silly questions, (I have ice) and now it's in my mind I'm going to worry myself stupid!

P

piggyfan

Static live look like brown bits. You would know by seeing them. They are usually on the rump. If you saw them then you can buy lyclear shampoo, do a patch test and after 48 hours if no reaction you can bath them. Did you read the link?

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Static live look like brown bits. You would know by seeing them. They are usually on the rump. If you saw them then you can buy lyclear shampoo, do a patch test and after 48 hours if no reaction you can bath them. Did you read the link?
Yes i did thank you but I'm a little on the dim side. I can't say I've noticed any symptoms, the only thing ive noticed is nibbles doesn't like cuddles as much any more but I'm just assuming that's him trusting me and telling me what he does and doesn't like. So what is a fur mite? I ask because the vet said roddy might have them but didn't do anything about it?., but I've not seen anything on any of them that would suggest this

P

piggyfan

I have not heard of fur mites. Sorry. Nibbles could be just asserting himself now that he knows you better.

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have not heard of fur mites. Sorry. Nibbles could be just asserting himself now that he knows you better.
Thank you I have just found this myself. I am pretty sure my piggies are creepy crawly free lol, thank goodness. Thank you ever so much for your time and giving me the reassurance I need :-) it's been greatly appreciated

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hay mites, fur mites and static lice are all the same. They leave their visibble egg cases in the hair at the bum end of a piggy. The hay mites themselves are barely visible. Hay mites you treat the same lice. They are most common in the autumn and generally come with the hay. They are affecting the piggies the least of all the skin parasites.

Mange mites aren't visible at all and the burrow their eggs in the skin, which is very painful. Mites can happen at any time, but they tend to hit if the immune system is lowered either through stress of some sort or after a major illness. Many piggies already carry dormant eggs in their skin where they can't be reached by ivermectin; this only affects the emerging mites.

Status
Not open for further replies.