• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Mites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puzzlepigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Unfortunately it seems that Puzzle and Inca have got some sort of mites or fungal infection, though I'm not quite sure at the moment. I'd done an order about 2 weeks back to stock up on Gorgeous Guineas shampoos, very ironically buying the Lice 'N' Easy just in case and now it seems that the girls have some sort of nasty infection or parasite.

I'd noticed a little bit of scratching on Thursday night, but I put it down to the fact that the bedding I'd put in earlier in the week was a fresh bag, maybe causing them a bit of itchiness. I gave the cage a full clean this afternoon and I also clipped their claws and prepared to bath them with the Gorgeous Guineas shampoo. When handling Inca I noticed that she has a thinner patch midway down her back, where the hair breaks off mid-shaft. Maple has a little bald patch (completely bald) with no redness under her chin too. Then when I got Puzzle out I saw the same, two small patches where the hair is thinning and breaking off mid-shaft. As I parted the hair on Puzzle's back, she also has a rather fresh looking red sore. I take it this could be due to her scratching? They all seem to be quite happy, but there's obviously some sort of nasty causing the hair thinning/loss.

I decided not to bath them as I know that Gorgeous Guineas say that piggies should not be shampooed 48 hours before or after having Ivermectin, and I plan on phoning the vets tomorrow morning (they were shut today by the time I noticed the sore on Puzzle) to book an appointment, in which it is possible that the pigs will be treated with Ivermectin, so I just want to be on the safe side.

I would have just used the shampoo to clear up any nasties but I am now reluctant to as it may be a different problem and I don't want to irritate Puzzle's sore. I went in to feed them about half an hour ago and I've now seen that Puzzle has a tiny patch on one side of her nose where the hair has parted.

So I am now very confused as to what the problem could be! I know that ringworm usually starts on the face, around the nose or ears, but the thinning of hair definitely started on Puzzle and Inca's backs. Any advice would be appreciated, and I will be phoning up for an appointment tomorrow - hopefully they will have a slot free!

Yes, please see a vet for a proper diagnosis and do not home treat on spec! Neither fungal nor mites are always textbook and as easy to diagnose as the images make you believe. Ringworm is only one - if the most infective and transmittable - form of fungal; there is a whole range of them.

Gorgeous guineas products are not geared for taking care of mange mites nor are they strong enough to kill off ringworm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back