• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Mites?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Ok so was giving my boys a cuddle earlier and noticed little critters in the partings..
These critters were tiny but as I'm new to owning Guinea Pigs I wanted to get it checked out.
I thought it might be mites and if so how can I get rid?
Please help?/..

I'm pretty sure you can't see mite's could be lice tho. I gave mine ivemec and sprayed they with cat flea spray

Hi there

I would recommend either Gorgeous Guinea's Lice n Easy shampoo (just Google to find the website) or Johnson's insecticidal shampoo for small animals - definitely not cat flea spray! It's formulated completely differently for different animals and quite honestly I've only ever had one pig come in with a flea, one flea - and that had lived in a house full of cats. The GG shampoo will not kill mites though, so I use the Johnson's. These are only to be use on pigs 12 weeks or older.

You will need to treat every week for three weeks to ensure all the ones that hatch are killed. Regular treatments of a single shampoo every 6-8 weeks should prevent a repeat infestation. All your pigs will need treatment, the cages disinfected and throughly scrubbed.

They may have come in on the hay - it may be worthwhile to bin your current lot and get a new supply.

Hope all this helps.

Suzy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back