• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Mollie not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
hi,

one of our girlie piggies seems very lethargic and is not interested in her food. she is normally at the food bowl before anyone else. she is wet around her genital area. we are worried. can anyone give an idea of the problem, so we can treat? until we see the vet?

thank you:... :... :... :...

I'm sorry to hear that Mollie isn't well. Do you know if she has eaten/ drunk anything at all? Is she pooping? Is she warm/ cold?

Can you try hand feeding her on your lap. You may need to syringe her some water. It's important to keep her guts moving.

HTH

You need to start syringe feeding her if she wont eat. I am having to do one of mine at the moment. I ran out of critical care (so I've ordered some more) But I made a load of pellets into a mash and I'm syringe feeding him that. I also adding a little baby food for flavour and hes having around 8 x 2.5ml feeds each time and I am having to do him first thing in the morning, as soon as I get home from work and then again before I go to bed and he is maintaining his weight :)

I hope she feels better soon. She could have a UTI.

Sorry to her Mollie isn't herself. How is she this morning?

Provided she does not seem bloated (swollen, tight and painful abdomen) - in which case I would advise an urgent vet visit to check there is no blockage - then syringe feeding is a must, if you need any help with this I have a factsheet, just drop me an email then I can email it across to you: [email protected]

Wet bottom, could suggest a urinary/bladder issue e.g. infection, in which case the ideal treatment regime is:

1. Septrin - antibiotic
2. Rimadyl / Metacam - anti-inflammatory pain relief, her loss of appetite may be down to pain.
3. Plenty of fluids.

thank you for all of your help. i'm afraid that i have to report that Mollie has past over. thank you again8... 8... 8... 8... 8... 8...

hi,

further to my previous, we have another piggy that is showing the same signs as Mollie. if Mollie did have a UTI, is it contagious? how is a UTI caught? how can I prevent this happening? we have 16 piggies all living together, can a UTI spread to all of them, males included?

i would love answers to my questions, if anyone can help i would be really really grateful

thank you

Hi,

Sorry I don't have an answer for you but I just wanted to say that I am sorry for your loss.

Sleep tight Molly.

I'm sorry Mollie didn't make it. It's likely there was more going on than was clear from her symptoms, a UTI will not have caused her death. Without a post mortem, carried out soon after death, there is no way of knowing the actual cause of death, although even then many post mortems are inconclusive.

UTIs are not typically contagious, there have been cases where an infection seems to pass between cagemates, but in most cases, UTIs are specific to the individual pig.

The best way to prevent any losses from this is to syringe feed as soon as you notice any are not eating for themselves, this will give them the strength they need to see them through the illness and prevent their digestive system shutting down - and contact the vet ASAP for a thorough examination and diagnosis.

thank you. we took our other little lady to the vet this morning, he seems to think that it may be colic? he gave her a couple of injections and she seems to have perked up a bit. he has also given us some feeding paste, hopefully this will do the trick.

thank you again

In piggie terms, I would have to assume colic = bloat? Although colic is not thought to be gastro-intestinal related in other definitions of colic, I personally don't see any other way to interpret colic in piggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back