Mollie's Cystitis/ic Treatment, Vets Cost And Insurance Claim!

Status
Not open for further replies.

biscandmatt

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
just wanted to make a quick thread about this for anyone considering insurance. i am very glad i have it at this moment! so mollie started with cystitis symptoms on the 14th of may and the vet was contacted and treatment started the next day, since then she has had to have numerous appointments, tests/xrays/urine culture to find out what was going on, plus medications and a couple of nights stay at the vets.

from just the 14th may - 10th june (less than six weeks) her bill is £430.38. with the more recent bill covering her meds due soon and estimated at another £50 or so.

thankfully her insurance has covered the majority of this bill so far, minus about £82 ish of it. it will also now cover her recent meds minus postage and all future medications relating to this condition aswell, again minus postage. obviously upto the £2000 per year she is covered for.

thankfully our vets have allowed us to have the larger payments claimed directly through them, and we have paid the smaller amounts upfront and claimed back to us.

just thought it might help anyone who is deciding whether to get insurance, and show just how quickly the cost can add up. it also means you can say basically give my pet everything they need.

plus... this way we get to try and save for the taxi costs! :roll::))

so hope this helps anyone considering insurance and who is unable to save the money like we are unable to. and it's a comfort to know that the meds mollie will be needing long term will now be covered aswell, or at least the majority of the cost anyway.

if i'm honest though, compared to what my rabbits have cost me, this seems low (always worrying when a bill like this seems low!) and i wish so much i had got insurance for them back when i got them in 2006. i didn't even know about insurance then and they had numerous health issues by a few months old.

so little miss mollie is proving very expensive but she is of course worth every single penny and we adore her so much :luv::luv::luv:

worried val of york

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
How much is it to insure an individual guinea pig. I mean how much a month do you have to pay. I must consider it as at present the vet bills are mounting up a bit

biscandmatt

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
mine are insured with exotic direct. it's £13.52 per month per piggy for ten months (but the cover is per twelve months) :) or you can pay the £135.20per piggy upfront for the whole year. i think only exotic direct insure piggies though that i know of.

i'm glad i got it but some of the conditions are complicated and they don't really tell you much unless you ask but with actual paying out, i've found them to be really good so far and they've covered the majority of the overall cost :)

Veggies Galore

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
My 3 are insured under the same policy. I 've only had to claim for Max. Bess has had a course if antibiotics and I'VE had urine samples done for all 3 which I haven't claimed for - but I still feel insurance is worth it

biscandmatt

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My 3 are insured under the same policy. I 've only had to claim for Max. Bess has had a course if antibiotics and I'VE had urine samples done for all 3 which I haven't claimed for - but I still feel insurance is worth it
it's a weird one because you actually would rather you have wasted your money and never have to use it. but it's a safety net really and for peace of mind, totally worth it :)

i never insured my two rabbits and it was a massive mistake with them! i never insured ches or maisie either and in both their cases it worked out that i should have done and although nowhere near as expensive as the rabbits, it was still a struggle and we were very lucky that our vets allowed us to pay the bills when we next had the money although i always hated asking. i decided to insure after that and will with all pets from now on. so eddie was, and now both mollie and benjie are :)

Veggies Galore

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
it's a weird one because you actually would rather you have wasted your money and never have to use it. but it's a safety net really and for peace of mind, totally worth it :)

i never insured my two rabbits and it was a massive mistake with them! i never insured ches or maisie either and in both their cases it worked out that i should have done and although nowhere near as expensive as the rabbits, it was still a struggle and we were very lucky that our vets allowed us to pay the bills when we next had the money although i always hated asking. i decided to insure after that and will with all pets from now on. so eddie was, and now both mollie and benjie are :)
:agr:
I would sooner pay the insurance and not need to claim. It has been an invaluable safety net though

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
do policies have an excess like other insurances ? I have been thinking of getting insurance but wasn't sure how it worked.. after my first vets bill being £115 i need to look into it...

worried val of york

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I will definitely contact Exotic Direct have been basing my decision not to insure on my dog's health needs She has hardly needed any vet treatment during her 16 years until last year. So overall insurance would not have been necessary. However I have lost 3 guinea pigs since 2013 and each one has cost about £500 for treatment needed in one week alone. I have just cancelled my £10 a month Know How from Currys which I have hardly used so Exotic Direct insurance is much more essential. I

pig in the city

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
My rabbits are insured which is essential as they are very costly, but as i have 15 pigs I couldn't really afford to insure them all. If I ever (!) get my numbers down I will consider it!

pig in the city

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I will definitely contact Exotic Direct have been basing my decision not to insure on my dog's health needs She has hardly needed any vet treatment during her 16 years until last year. So overall insurance would not have been necessary. However I have lost 3 guinea pigs since 2013 and each one has cost about £500 for treatment needed in one week alone. I have just cancelled my £10 a month Know How from Currys which I have hardly used so Exotic Direct insurance is much more essential. I
I think you have been very unlucky Val, but also you have a good vet who is prepared to go the extra mile to help your pigs, unfortunately it all costs money as you well know...

worried val of york

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
While I have got the money I prefer to spend it on what I consider essential things. There is nothing more essential than making sure you provide an animal with the best and most appropriate care when needed. But with insurance it would take the worry out of future bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.