• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Momma and Babies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iheartmygirls

I have a family of guinea pigs. The momma and her three babies. I just noticed recently that she has started biting the them. I'm worried that she is gonna hurt them. I don't know what to do. I know that I should seperate her, but how will it affect the babies? I think they might be old enough to go without her. But I also have another problem. I don't have another cage in which to put them in. What can I do in the meantime? Please help!

Welcome to the forum :)

If the babies are coming up to three weeks old then boars must be separated from Mum to save her getting pregnant again.

Mum will be telling them off that's all to stop them pestering her

iheartmygirls said:
I don't have another cage in which to put them in. What can I do in the meantime? Please help!

They will still be quite tiny so you can improvise :) On Cavycages people have used things like paddling pools :)

Okay. So I need to seperate them asap. I don't know if the babies are males or females but I'm going to the vet on Monday because she has a few lumps I noticed today. I don't have a a kiddie pool but I have been to cavycages. Any other ideas?

Please take them all to the vets on Monday and get them sexed. Boars need to come out at 3 weeks or they may get their Mum or sisters pregnant.

She may be biting at them because they are bothering her for milk when she has dried up.

You are going to have to buy another cage sooner or later if you are planning on keeping them. Maybe you need to do this sooner rather than later?

OKay. I actually don't plan on keeping the babies. I found an old cage I had laying around. I've been trying to sex them myself, but I can't tell.

How old are the babies? You should be able to tell, if you know what to look for when they are a few days old. If they are at least a couple of weeks old or more now, you should be able to tell the difference for sure :)

Well I took them all to the vet today. I have one boy and two girls. I have already started the process in finding them new homes. Thanks for all the help though! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back