• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Monti: Pneumonia And Uri :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryno

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all - almost a month ago I lost my previous piggie Maui after 5 years. I did not waste any time to get Peanut and Monti (what is a home without guinea pigs?!) but unfortunately it appears that I got Monti with pneumonia. It all transpired a week after I got them; Monti's breathing became wheezing and he was breathing rapidly with his whole little body, instead of abdominal, as you would expect. I took him to the vets immediately, and he was put on Baytril. The vet was very concerned, but three weeks later he has been up and down, better and not so good... last visit to the vets was just after Xmas and he was cleared of lung infliction, but his upper respiratory situation was still not good. We have tried to evenings of getting him in the bathroom when we are showering/having a bath, but I am not sure it makes a difference...

During the last 2 days I changed their bedding from wood shavings (never had problems before; but just in case) and replaced with a paper pulp alternative. I am hoping that will make a difference but his breathing is still very bad; his sinuses sound completely blocked and he is fighting for every breath, it seems.

I am fighting to give him the Baytril every time - he is trying his best to avoid taking it.

Going back to the vets tomorrow - this is soul destroying; I am so worried that I am loosing him. I really hate seeing and hearing him fighting for every breath :(

Fortunately Peanut seems to be ok, but he is going along tomorrow, just in case.

Thanks for listening :)

a worried me!

Would your vet consider another antibiotic? I have had great success with Zithromax in dealing with Pneumonia, though it does sound like it is more upper respiratory now. Was he given any diuretic when he had Pneumonia to get the fluid of his lungs? Has he had an xray?

Other suggestions:

Bisolvon - clears mucous from the nasal passages

Steam therapy with 2 drops of Olbas oil in either a steam inhaler held over the nose in 5 second bursts, or in a bowl next the cage. I would continue taking him in the bathroom too.

Thanks Helen! I will ask tomorrow - he was not given anything other than the Baytril, but as you say it appears to be upper respiratory now. Lungs clear, no issues with appetite.

Will definitely continue our bathroom sessions then, and will look into the Olbas solution - thanks so much!

Please continue with weighing daily to Monitor the weight. Baytril is about the most foul tasting stuff you can come across (I've made the mistake of licking a spilled drop myself once and still wish I hadn't!). Unfortunately, it is still the only licensed antibiotic for guinea pigs, so you are bound to come up against it sooner or later. if symptoms continue, he may either need a second round to clear the bacteria or a stronger antibiotic. Some members swear on mixing it with something strong tasting like ribena, or syringing ribena straight after to take the foul taste away.

If symptoms persist, your vet may want to look into a stronger antibiotic like marbocyl (which is a stronger form of baytril) or zithromax (azithromycin), which is a very strong, but effective unlicensed antibiotic that should be reserved for life and death issues (which a pneumonia or persistent abscesses or infections can be).

l would recommend to up the amount of Vitamin C you give for as long as your little boy is struggling in order to help strengthen his immune system.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...vitamin-c-overview-with-product-links.115404/

PS: I also support @helen105281 's recommendations re. diuretic and/or a mucus dissolving powder like bisolvon to help ease the breathing on top of any antibiotics. Please ask your vet for it.

Thanks everyone. Vet agreed that the situation warrants Zithromax and Bisolvon as he is now starting to loose weight. She has ordered it and we should hopefully have it by Friday. Definitely clear in the lungs, which is a step forward! In the mean time we will continue with the steaming and the Baytril, and have upped their vitamins.

Will keep you posted - have a happy 2015 filled with healthy, loveable piggies :)

That's brilliant, hopefully you will start to see a real difference.

Hi all - after a rather "touch and go" Christmas and New Year where I was really worried I was going to loose Monti, he has now almost completely recovered from his pneumonia and URI after only one week on Zithromax (that's after almost a month on Baytril!) His entire personality and behaviour changed since he started getting better and he is eating much better. One week of Zithromax left to do, but the vet is happy with his progress. I am so relieved - thanks for all the advice and healing thoughts.

Ryno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back