More advice please

Piano

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi. I'm still having trouble with my boars. Both around 13-15 months old. Unneuterred. 5x2 C&c.

I've followed advice on the forum for 2 of everything and extra hidey holes etc. Now I'm not sure if they are behaving normally or if there is a problem with the bond.
I've just been sitting and watching for the past 3 and a half hours as one boar chased the other around, nipped him on the bum and mounted him. (I've had to cut out boar glue from his coat several times).
I though this behaviour had stopped but its started up again.

As nobody is actually in my home to witness them, could you tell by the amount of time it went on for if there is a problem with the bond?
I've read the articles on neutering and it seems as though it's no great help. Should I try neutering the one doing all the humping and chasing anyway? Or is it a case of have both done or none?

Piano

New Born Pup
Reaction score
And as I finished writing, they've started up again.

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Neutering a boar, I believe does not change their behaviour... just stops them having babies!

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Neutering won’t do anything, they will still behave the same way. Up to 14 months is the teenage phase and they can still have hormone surges later in adult life. It sounds fine. As long as the other pig is submissive it should be okay.

The first time it happened with my boys, it went on for a good 2-3 hours on and off. Top pig would chase, mount and hump then rest. He eventually got over it.

I notice you say ‘still’. What’s been happening previously?

Piano

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thanks for replies.
This behaviour has been going on since the 2nd week I had them. I'd say about 3 months ago.
I believed that it could have been they didn't have enough room or hiding places. Nothing seems to have worked.
I'm not sure if I'm over thinking the situation or if there is a problem between them but I'm too inexperienced to identify.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm still having trouble with my boars. Both around 13-15 months old. Unneuterred. 5x2 C&c.

I've followed advice on the forum for 2 of everything and extra hidey holes etc. Now I'm not sure if they are behaving normally or if there is a problem with the bond.
I've just been sitting and watching for the past 3 and a half hours as one boar chased the other around, nipped him on the bum and mounted him. (I've had to cut out boar glue from his coat several times).
I though this behaviour had stopped but its started up again.

As nobody is actually in my home to witness them, could you tell by the amount of time it went on for if there is a problem with the bond?
I've read the articles on neutering and it seems as though it's no great help. Should I try neutering the one doing all the humping and chasing anyway? Or is it a case of have both done or none?
Neutering won't change their behaviour much. It is also not the immediate cap on hormonal behaviour. I have had neutered boars that were still suffering from the kind of hormone spikes that you are describing as young to even middle aged adults. They also still exude a lot of testosterone via their pee; you get a really nice testosterone stink when they meet a girl for the first time. It is not something you want to do in a closed room!

As I have said before, please place a temporary divider in the cage for a couple of days if the chasing and mounting is truly incessant and your other boar is no longer taking it. Then re-introduce on neutral ground again.

Your boys are still in the teenage. they are obviously in the 'late wakers' group that experience the big hormones when the early wakers are past the very worst of it.
PLEASE take the time to read our guide links!
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care

Please also pick up your old thread on the same subject via the search option by the top bar (type in your username or the thread key word in the title), so we can keep an ongoing issue together. The more often you post a new thread on the same ongoing subject, the more standard and not personalised answers you will get. Unlike social media we have the boon of running ongoing support threads over longer periods of time.
Please accept that we are all doing this for free in our own free time on top of a job, our own piggies and private life whenever we can, so none of us will ever read everything or will remember the specifics after jumping between lots of different threads in just a single day.