• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

More questions

LondonLady

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
I've always been a bit of a compulsive worrier, so I hope you don't mind a couple more questions. I want to make sure I'm doing the best for my piggies.

1. Toffee and Biscuit live in a Midwest Habitat cage (see picture) with a divider. It's 120x60cm which I know is the recommended minimum for two pigs. At first I thought this was plenty big enough but after all I've been reading I'm wondering if it would be better to take the divider out so they have more space to move around? They also have a play pen which they go into for a couple of hours each day. Does this look all right? At first I set up the play pen in another room because I didn't have enough space and only put them in there twice a week, but I've moved things around now so I can put it next to the cage and let them straight into it. The first couple of times they weren't too sure, but now they get very excited and can't wait to get out!

2. Both of them keep chewing the bars of their cage. It seems to be mainly in the evening when they know it's time for their evening veggies. Are they just reminding me it's food time or is something else going on? Is it ok or could it harm them? Is there anything I can do to stop them?

Attachments

• 20201127_131307.jpg
    20201127_131307.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 33
  • 20201127_092010.jpg
    20201127_092010.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 33
Are you piggies boars or sows?

if they are sows, then this cage is the smallest cage they should be in. I would take the divider out as it is just breaking up space unnecessarily.

if they are boars, then the cage isn’t big enough. Two boars need a minimum of 150x60 but 180x60 is best. In that case, I would remove the Midwest cage altogether and then let them have the entire playspace a their permanent living area

If you have two females, then that space is the minimum, but if you have two males, then you need to get a larger space.

Cage biting is normal! Mine do it when bored, or to remind me that it's veg time. It likely won't hurt them, as long as there's nothing like paint on the bars that could peel off and be eaten. But if you're worried, then you can check the areas around their mouths, to make sure it's not irritated from rubbing on the metal, and make sure there's no paint on the bars that could peel!

Ive just looked back at one of your other posts and have seen that they are a neutered boar/sow pair. This means the cage meets the minimum size for them (120x60 is the welfare minimum for two sows or a boar/sow). However, if is advisable if possible go go up one size to a 150x60.
I would still take that divider out though and add another hidey.

I think it's always best to give piggies the most space you possibly can. The minimum is only ever that a bare minimum you should never go below but the more space you give them the happier they'll be and the more you'll get out of having them too. I would see if there's a way they could have access to that lovely run all the time.

Thank you for the replies. Yes Toffee is a neutered boar and Biscuit is a sow. I will definitely try and see if I can get them a bigger cage in the future. While it seemed big to me when I first got it, now I understand a lot more about guinea pigs and their needs I see that a bigger cage would be better for them. Meanwhile I've taken the divider out. Again, it seemed like a nice idea when I bought the cage but seems a bit pointless now and just reduces their space

I would say that you should take the divider out. i personally dont think the cage is big enough for 2 pigs. and i just saw your comment that you have a sow and a neatured boar. so i think you should still get a new cgae or bug another midwest cgae and connect them together. if you dont wanna do that then you can just make a whoel new c&c cage. i jsut moved my piggies into a 3 by 5 c&c cgae which works great.

Back