• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Morning Dry Food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetSkii

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I feed my piggies their dry food in the morning and its pretty much the first thing I do as they are in my bedroom.

However my piggs have realised if they squeak loud enough to wake me I will feed them. My pigs now squeak and bite the bars of their cage until I wake up. I feed them as I am tired and was peace so I can sleep. However this has gotten ridiculous the earliest time being 4am.

I want to move them out of my room as an absolute last resort and was wondering if anyone had any ideas? A way to teach them when its morning or something. Any advice would be much appreciated thanks.

Oh wow, guinea pig alarm clocks! Just a thought, but perhaps they are squeaking earlier, not just because they know you will get up and feed them, but because it's getting lighter earlier outside at the moment and so they think it's breakfast time when the sun comes up. I don't know how dark or light your room is but maybe if you can make it darker that might stop them squeaking so early?

My only other suggestion is to try and ignore their squeaks so they realise that squeaking at 4am won't result in early breakfast... Or you could temporarily move them out of your room and feed them at the usual time to get them back into your original routine.

Thankyou so much! It had never occurred to me about the lighting. My curtains are quite thin thinking about it so I will try covering them more or getting black out curtains. Thank you so much for the suggestion. It would be very tricky to move them into a different room because it would be hard to make the space. Will definatley try thicker curtains though! :)

I would agree with the ignoring thing. Pigs certainly learn about timings. I have to get up and leave for work at 6.15 and their palace is near the front door. They never squeak though (unless I make the mistake of opening the fridge door), just watch me with dignified tolerance. My wife takes two steps out of bed at 7am and "WHEAK WHEAK WHEAK! " with wide eyes and frantic skips as if we'd been starving them.

Awww that's adorable :) I will certainly try and ignore them. Hopefully ignoring and the curtains will sort it out. Thankyou :)

Lol cheeky piggies! Thicker blackout curtains or blinds may help. My 3 hear my husbands
Alarm in the morning and wheek wheek wheek along with the alarm. Lol.

could you split the pellets and feed half at night before bed and then half in the morning? :) might make them a bit less desperate for them :))

Mine do this too! I hadn't thought of lighting either... Have you had any success? My boys are driving me a little bit insane at the moment with their 4am wheeking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back