• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Most Excellent and Smashing Timothy Hay please?

hot fox

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Good morning! We usually enjoy Alfalfa King Timothy Hay. Oxbow is a second fave as it's more expensive per Kg and not as consistent quality in recent months. I'm struggling to source the former at a reasonable price. Are there any alternatives one could recommend? I'm sure I have ordered every one under the sun over the years! But recent experiences would be gratefully received.
Here's a Pigture for one's entertainment and pleasure! Thank you!

Attachments

• 20210525_215615.jpg
    20210525_215615.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 6
Good Evening (for me), I use Oxbow Timothy Hay, but I've heard that Small Pet Select is good quality as well. I haven't had the liberty of trying it as we live in Australia and cannot get it over here as it doesn't ship here. I'm sure there's lots of other brands, but this is the only one I know of. You can try watching some reviews on YouTube 🙂

Here's a link to their 2nd cut Timothy Hay (which is apparently the best for piggies): 2nd Cutting Timothy Hay

I always get my hay from my local farm shop. Its always very good quality and only around 6 quid for a huge farm bale which I store in a haybale bag. My piggies love it. It smells very sweet like honey.

The problem with hay is that even from the exact same supplier it does tend to vary from batch to batch.

Alfafa kings and oxbow timothy are the faves here, too. The oxbow from amazon is tip top just now though, like you, i have had variations. 2019 was a shocking year for awful hay.

Recently, i can highly recommend American timothy from dust free hay co (dont bother with their english timothy)

Their american, their soft and their meadow mix hay are all superb just now

I use Haybox.
The meadow can sometimes be a bit hit and miss - of course it’s nothing to do with haybox themselves as hay can vary - but I’ve never had an issue with their timothy hay. My lot prefer the soft timothy and aren’t fans of the coarse cut

Seconding that on haybox. Recent meadow hay was a bit brown but the timothy always looks great and much appreciated by the piggies.

Third vote here for Haybox! Yes the meadow is quite variable but the timothy has always been top notch. My piggies were strangely unimpressed with the lovely soft cut timothy, but they love the stalkier timothy hay blend- really wont eat any other brand!

And another vote for HayBox.
Mine love the soft meadow hay which can be a bit variable but has never yet been rejected by piggies.
They also like some of the first cut but it’s a hay for munching not playing in.

I get my hay from Healthy Herby and I must say I‘m super happy with the quality. We‘re currently only giving Orchard Hay as it‘s by far the best for my allergies but we used to order timothy from them as well and it was always amazing quality and the pigs loved it! :)

Back