• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Mouse in bag of Timothy Hay

JimmythePig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
There was a dead mouse in the bag of hay. I found it in Jimmy's pen when I was tidying up. It was there all night from last night's top up. I didn't notice when I put the hay down. Could he get sick from this? I cleaned the area and removed all the other hay.
I am so grossed out and worried about Jimmy.

There was a dead mouse in the bag of hay. I found it in Jimmy's pen when I was tidying up. It was there all night from last night's top up. I didn't notice when I put the hay down. Could he get sick from this? I cleaned the area and removed all the other hay.
I am so grossed out and worried about Jimmy.
Was there mouse feces in the hay?

Well, in that case, watch the piggy for the next couple days. If it doesn't act or look weird, and the piggies feces looks normal, I would assume it is okay, but if it behaves strange, or seems sickly, take it and any other pigs that live with it or ate out of that bag of hay to the vet.

Was the mouse long since deceased, in other words it had been in the hay since it was harvested, or did it look like it had died in there after you opened the bag?
The latter would be more worrying, as that would mean you have mice in your piggy room; the former does happen occasionally - mice or other animals or bits of them can get in during harvesting and packing, I had a dried up frog in a bag once, at that stage it's probably not worth worrying about.

Thank you. He's been his usual self all day, lots of normal poops, but I will keep a very close eye.

Was the mouse long since deceased, in other words it had been in the hay since it was harvested, or did it look like it had died in there after you opened the bag?
The latter would be more worrying, as that would mean you have mice in your piggy room; the former does happen occasionally - mice or other animals or bits of them can get in during harvesting and packing, I had a dried up frog in a bag once, at that stage it's probably not worth worrying about.
The mouse had definitely expired a while ago.. It was completely flat. It took me a few minutes to figure out what it was.

The mouse had definitely expired a while ago.. It was completely flat. It took me a few minutes to figure out what it was.
I imagine it was in the hay when the harvester picked it up then, so hopefully the drying and packing process will have got rid of any nasties. Your piggies probably wouldn't touch it, as it won't exactly smell like tasty food to them, but there's no harm in keeping a closer eye on them for a few days just in case :nod:

I feel terrible that I left it there all day! It was so flat I didn't notice until I was clearing up the old hay this evening.

Back