• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Moveable or unmovable

Piano

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi.
I'm getting rid of my fleece/cube hidey thing. It's covered in glue and very unpleasant smelling.

I have 2 other hideys. One is a wooden bridge which is heavy and they can't move it. The other is a lightweight plastic hidey that they move around.

If I'm replacing, should I get another heavy unmovable thing or a lightweight thing they can push and move about?

I'm really not sure if they prefer the security of a heavy object to hide under or the light weight one that covers them more.

I just use cardboard boxes... always free.. they can hide under it, eat it, move it if they feel the need...

They look really cute. I have the same wooden arch. Mine hate being outside. They freeze up and won't eat.
So do I take it that whether they hide under something robust or flimsy, all they want is to be out of sight?

Yep! They are prey animals and are frightened of anything they are not used to. They think that anything and everything will eat them. Their prey instinct tells them to run and hide. It is their default setting.

The benefit of a heavy wooden house instead of a plastic one is they can safely chew a wooden one without the risk of ingesting plastic. Plastic houses also become ovens in the summer.
You wouldn't have these problems with a cardboard box and they're free too so it's up to you whether your want to buy one or make one 🙂

Editted to add I have a willow bridge like @Betsy and a wooden house that goes in the cage and then lots of cardboard boxes for floor time

I sometimes cover half the cage with a blanket. it's a happy medium for them between hiding and being able to take up as much space as they like and spy on their hoomans. I still give them lots of hides as well so they have lots of options to choose from.

Just want to check on a couple of things posted here-
Would they be happy in a covered area without a hidey? That Would make cleaning cage times easier for me.
Also, is any cardboard fine? Or is there some that's known to contain nasties?

Amazon delivery boxes are very popular with piggies, any plain brown cardboard like that should be safe and can be chewed to death with no worries once you remove the tape :) avoid any coloured/glossy cardboard if they are nibblers.
Also some piggies do enjoy a covered cage area with a blanket over the cage or a fleece forest type tent covering if they are nervous out in the open! :)

Back