• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Moved house!

DougalandDiego

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanted to update some of you that have been very kindly messaging me and commenting on my posts that we moved the guinea pigs into the house yesterday! (I will upload some pics of their piggy room when they're settled!)

We didn't get the keys to the house until 3 which meant the guinea pigs weren't in the house in their cage until about 10/10:30 in the evening. They were both brilliant during the move and were even lying down in their carrier and seemed quite relaxed (by this time in the evening all of the loud moving/making things had been done hence the late time to move them!). Last night I didn't get much sleep as I was trying to listen out for any arguing and I heard a bit of running around but nothing major and they were definitely eating and out and about. This morning I went in before work to clean their cage and feed them their veggies and Diego didn't come out of his hidey. I put some veggies in his hidey so he didn't have to come out but when I left them to give them some peace I think Dougal the other guinea pig had eaten them.

When I get home I plan to put a fleece over the part of the cage that is closer to the door to give them some security. Is there anything else I can do to help them settle? We are also putting their radio in their room later today (very spoilt pigs have an amazon Alexa and the wifi has only just been connected today so couldn't do it yesterday!) XD as I think the quiet chatter in the background will also help them. I've never moved house with them before so I'm not sure what to expect with behaviour. Dougal seems more settled as he's more confident but Diego is very nervous - is it normal for them to take a few days to settle?

I feel awful that he's so nervous but I'm hoping over the next few days it will improve. I need to weigh him later so if he has lost weight as he's not eating as much (worse case scenario) is it a good idea to give him some mashed up pellets via syringe? Or leave him to settle?

Any tips/advice greatly appreciated - hope you're all having a good day!

I’m glad your move went well.

Id treat it as if they are new piggies and give them a few days to settle back in.
Do keep an eye on his weight but I wouldn’t worry too quickly (remember there are daily fluctuations in weight anyway). If you notice rapid weight loss (and anything more than the normal fluctuations) then do step in with syringe feeding, but hopefully he is still eating and he just needs a little time to settle back down.

I’m glad your move went well.

Id treat it as if they are new piggies and give them a few days to settle back in.
Do keep an eye on his weight but I wouldn’t worry too quickly (remember there are daily fluctuations in weight anyway). If you notice rapid weight loss (and anything more than the normal fluctuations) then do step in with syringe feeding, but hopefully he is still eating and he just needs a little time to settle back down.

Lovely thank you! Yeah I don't want to syringe feed unless absolutely necessary as I don't want him to stop eating hay etc.! Thanks for the advice!

Glad the move went well... it can be a stressful time for humans and pigs! I am sure they will settle after a few days .. Would love to see pics of the piggy room once they are settled.

Glad the move went well... it can be a stressful time for humans and pigs! I am sure they will settle after a few days .. Would love to see pics of the piggy room once they are settled.

Thank you! Yes will definitely be uploading lots of pics! Their room has lino in which I'm so excited about as I won't have hay stuck in the carpet! :fog: So sad! xx

Glad you moved well ! I remember when I got my piggles - they had been living together but Geoff (the quiet shy one) was very reluctant to come out of a tunnel or his bed for two days but then he settled and was fine - I’m sure he soon settle and love his new home 😊

Glad the move went well. I'm expect they just need a little time to get used to their new environment and will be feeling more confident soon 😊

Glad all went well with the move.
Hope you all settle quickly and enjoy your new home.
My key tip for moving - get those boxes unpacked as quickly as possible.
We moved once and I found a couple of boxes that had never been unpacked - I’d spent 5 years wondering where some of that stuff was!

Thank you for the comments everyone! 🥰🥰 sorry for the delayed response - as @Merab's Slave has also recommended we’re trying to get unpacked as quickly as possible! 😂🤦🏻‍♀️ It seems to be never ending! Dougal is almost back to his normal self but Diego is still a bit nervous (he’s always been the nervous piggy) but he will get there. I’ve put a hay pile of orchard grass near his hidey so he doesn’t feel like he has to come out in the open to eat and put a fleece over the same part of the cage over so hopefully he will slowly gain confidence again! Hope everyone is having a good week so far! ☺️

Glad the move went well. They will settle down soon. I'm glad its not just my piggies who have an alexa. Lol. They like listening to radio 2. Ha ha.

Glad the move went well. They will settle down soon. I'm glad its not just my piggies who have an alexa. Lol. They like listening to radio 2. Ha ha.

Ha I’m glad it’s not just me either! Mine usually enjoy radio 4 as they tell stories! 😂😂

Back