• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Moving home with two young pigs, need some advice.

PrincessPig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, very new to this site so sorry if it’s in the wrong forum.

I have two 15+ week old pigs. One was acting a little ill the other day but has seemed to have perked up. I’m moving house in three days and just need some advice on how it’s best to transport them and introduce them to the new sights and smells of their new home.

I’m mainly worried about the one that seemed ill, Ted. I’m worried moving him may stress him out and cause him to get ill again.

I have what I call a “nursery cage” but it’s just an old hamster cage I use to place them in when cleaning out their main cage as it’s small and they can snuggle together. I also still have two of the card board boxes they came home in from the pet shop I bought them from. I’m not sure which one is best to use when transporting them? The new house is only 15 minutes away from the house I’m in currently, so I just need to know what they’ll feel safer in for the small duration of the trip.

Also any tips and advice to introduce them to the smells and sights of our new home is greatly appreciated!

Thank you :-)

I would use the small cage, and cover most of it for the journey. When you set up their cage in the new house, use bedding that hasn't been washed (if they're on fleece), or put some bedding from their old cage that way it will smell like home to them. A 15 minute journey should be fine for them.

Don’t worry, they will be fine! My boys Bill and Ted travel 5 hours sometimes and they settle down and sleep most of the way (and eat lots of food too). If you are at all worried about Ted, slip him along to the vets as illnesses are better caught early than leaving it until it’s too late to treat x Good luck with your move!

Don’t worry, they will be fine! My boys Bill and Ted travel 5 hours sometimes and they settle down and sleep most of the way (and eat lots of food too). If you are at all worried about Ted, slip him along to the vets as illnesses are better caught early than leaving it until it’s too late to treat x Good luck with your move!

My boys are called Bill and Ted too! Thank you for the advice, just a little apprehensive as when I drove them the vets about ten minutes away they got quite stressed in the car. Hopefully lots of food will keep them calm :)

Haha that’s great, two Bill’s and two Ted’s! I think they will settle after about 20 minutes, ours just chill out now, it’s a necessity for us as we take them to a marvellous vet for conscious dentals every 3 months as both have problem teeth!

I’m moving soon too and asked all the same questions.
I was also advised to put their travel cage in the footwell of the car for security and when you set up their new home make sure to put in plenty of their old hay and hideys so it smells familiar.

Good luck with the move.
Hope it all goes well

Back