• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Moving my piggies outside?

Robbie12345

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,

My piggys are 1.5years old and 3 months old. They have always been indoor piggys, and the oldest one has only ever gone outside in his run in the summer, not overnight.
My partner and I are looking to move, but whilst we look for our new home we are considering moving into his parents (closer for us to work whilst we are looking). However, my partners mum doesnt like guinea pigs (shocking, I know!). She has said we can move in, but my piggys would have to go in the summer house.

Would they be okay outside, as it is getting cold out and they wont be used to it. They would also get less contact time/be around people less as they would not be allowed into the house. I could get an outdoor hutch and insulate it, but would this be enough or would it be bad for my boys?

Sorry for such a long post!

Personally I don't think they'd have enough time to adjust now as the temperature has really dropped.

:agr:
it’s not the right time to year to move indoor guinea pigs outside. Even moving into a shed then the temperature fluctuation downwards would still be quite large.

Mine live in my shed (and they have a hutch in there) year round and keeping them warm enough is a lot of work but mine are used being outside. They got an Insulated hutch, blankets and a thermal hutch cover, along with snugglesafe heat pads and kilos of hay each month!

Same here, one of my pairs prefer to be in a insulated piggie shed and I wouldn't risk moving my indoor pigs in with them. You could put as much hay and heatpads as you want and still don't get the temperature they're used to. Not to mention, sometimes nights get colder than expected according to forecast. I have heating in the shed that goes on when temperature drops, but even then it's not cost effective way to keep them warm until spring. It's a long time and no idea what winter will be like.

Back