Moving my piggies

Eleanorld

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I’ve got two female piggies called Daisy and Maisie and tomorrow they will be 8 weeks old! We were hoping to take them out of their cage and let them have some floor time (and weigh them in the process too) but their cage is maybe 1m from the ground and daisy isn’t the easiest thing to pick up - maisie doesn’t have a care in the world! :)
Their house is about 25cm x 25cm and has two doors, I was wondering if I block the doors would that help daisy be more calm when we pick her up? Just so we won’t have to chase her round the cage. Is there any time limits for first time floor time?
Any help would be great, thanks!

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
You can shepherd her into the house and then pick her up from there. Or you can use a box or tunnel etc. Have a look at the video below and see.

As for floor time limits, I’m not sure. The first time I put the boys out they mainly his though they did come out for some hay. But it was quite a while after I got them that they had their first floor time.
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig Safely

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
Floor time limits. - no there isn’t but you will need to let them guide you. If it is their first time out, then they may simply be too scared to move and five minutes out is enough or they may be happy with it and like to explore.
Piggies will be scared of large open spaces, to ensure you have plenty of hideys on the floor for them