• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Moving with piggies, need help

Kevin_Haae

Junior Guinea Pig
So I'm going to be moving across the country soon. well, possibly. From British Columbia, to Ontario. If we do, I want to of course, take my guinea pigs. I do NOT want to just give them away. But I know the trip will be stressful for them. So what'd you recommend? I plan to get a travelling cage for them and keeping them in there since it's only 4 days. I also plan to get a playpen and letting them run in that when we stop for the night at a hotel. but I'm really scared the sheer stress of it will hurt or kill them. what do you recommend I do?should i prehaps put a blanket over the cage? should I strap the cage down in the trunk so they dont get overwhelmed by the other animals in the car? any suggestions are immensely appreciated.

Guineautopia

Teenage Guinea Pig
I’ve travelled with piggies in the past and I’ve never had any get stressed. I do put a towel over one end to keep them feeling safe and I shove loads of hay in and then for most of the journey they eat hay.
I agree with @Jaycey to take stops to check them and give them veggies to keep hydrated.
Good luck with the move.

Kevin_Haae

Junior Guinea Pig
I’ve travelled with piggies in the past and I’ve never had any get stressed. I do put a towel over one end to keep them feeling safe and I shove loads of hay in and then for most of the journey they eat hay.
I agree with @Jaycey to take stops to check them and give them veggies to keep hydrated.
Good luck with the move.
Sadly, my dad is the one driving and they don't plan on making any stops if possible :/ so it's not really possible for me. since hes the driver. but ill try my best to give them as many stops as possible and ill of course, check on them while I'm in the car with them. i am mostly worried they wont eat. Since when i take them out of their cage as of right now, they refuse to eat due to being scared. and i dont want the same thing to happen here. of course, when i take them out its only for an hour at most to clean their cage so they can survive not eating, I'm not sure if they'll eventually cave and eat when they get hungry enough or not.

Guineautopia

Teenage Guinea Pig
If you put the food in the travel cage,with lots of hay and a towel over to keep it dark, I’m sure they will eat. Make sure there is a water bottle for them and keep any loud noises to a minimum.
Also if they are scared to be handled, I wouldn’t keep worrying them by looking in every 5 mins to see if they are ok. Just let them be in the travel cage and get them out in the playpen when you stop at night.
Hope that helps.

Qualcast&Flymo

Forum Donator 2017/18
I would add two things to the above. Firstly, it might help to get them used to travelling in the carrier and car before the big move, by taking them out in it a few times. Secondly, I guess by trunk you mean what we in the UK call the boot of the car, in which case it might be a good idea to check there is sufficient fresh air getting into it, and that fumes don't get in there, as that wouldn't be good for them. Hope the move goes well!