• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

moving with the piggies!

lauraloveskev

New Born Pup
Hello, looking for a bit of advice please on a house move with the piggies.
We're moving 3 hours away to Derbyshire from Hampshire and I have 6 piggies to move too! When we arrive I may have to temporarily pop my 4 bonded girls in two large cages until there proper "set up" is built. This could take up to a week as we're rebuilding there insulated shed and pen system. Obviously (weather permitting) they'll be in a run together in the garden during the day ...but...will I have trouble splitting them into 2 groups at night and then trying to reintroduce them during the day? I may be overly worrying but having bonded them last year (they were originally 2 sets of rescue girls) they've been super together. Thanks for any advice!

Merab's Slave

Forum Donator 2017/18
There's another similar request for help which I spotted earlier.
I have no advice but will be very interested in the answers as I'm due to move next summer and am beginning to plan what to do with the guinea pigs already.

lauraloveskev

New Born Pup
Well we've now moved so I thought I'd update just in case anyone else has this dilemma! I decided not to separate the girls in the end and popped them in the same temporary cage each night. The cage was much smaller than they would normally live in as our shed was delayed. Anyway I popped them together but put the bare minimum in there...just hay and fleece bedding to maximize space. Luckily it has all gone well...phew! This amazing weather meant they were in a large run during the day so cage time was limited to over night only. I've been very lucky and we've had no squabbles from any of the girls or my two boys who were also in sub standard quarters...although I'm convinced I had a few unimpressed "looks"! Had this weather not been so fabulous I'm not sure how well this would have gone though ;) Have attached a picture of the temporary cages. It's been lovely having them in the house but there piggy palace now awaits! 38705661_2015416988476617_6755081978548060160_n (1).jpg