• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Mu New Guinea Pigs

ElizaCavies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, I am about to get three Guinea pigs and I was just wondering where to get their hutch and where is a good website to shop for pet supplies. Thank you so much,

ElizaCavies xx

Well done ! , guinea pigs are lovely pets

Don't forget to put photos of your guinea pigs on here

I pick my storage cages of shpock !, but c&c cages are better

Thank you, I will have a look. To be honest, I do not really like the look of the c and c cages. Would I be able to use an outdoor cavy cage as I like the look of those and would like my guinea pigs to be in a quite big and nice looking cage? Thank you so much Jayne.

ElizaCavies xx

Hi, I am about to get three Guinea pigs and I was just wondering where to get their hutch and where is a good website to shop for pet supplies. Thank you so much,

ElizaCavies xx

Hi and welcome

Good that you are doing your research beforehand! There are quite a number of pitfalls that await the unwary new owner unfortunately.

Are your reserved piggies boys or girls? Please be aware that three baby boars rarely make it through to adulthood without a separation once they hit the teenage hormone spikes at around 4 months old. Sadly shops and breeders still happily sell boar trios to unsuspecting customers asking for three piggies. They also need a lot of space and the option to get away from each other. Boars are much better in pairs. :(
Trios in all variations are the constellation that is most prone to outsider problems.
Boars, sows or mixed pairs; babies or adults?
Cage Size Guide

With a hutch you will also have to make dispositions for winter and summer care. Guinea pigs are not coping well with extremes of weather and huge fluctuations in temperature. During the frosty months, any hutch should ideally be under cover well out of the way of frosts, storms and wetness (but not sharing a garage with a car that is being used!) and in summer you need to find a space for the hutch that is in the shade and well away from the heat trap of a sunny patio to avoid turning them into death trap during a heat wave. Guinea pigs can die from heat stroke. You best treat them like you would tender plants.
Any outside location should also be safe from dogs, cats, foxes, rats, mice, aerial and human predators. Hutch theft (often with guinea pigs still inside) has become more common in recent years. We generally recommend to go for indoors guinea pigs as the safest option.
Cold Weather Care For Guinea Pigs
Hot Weather Management And Heat Strokes

Also be aware that unlike piggies from a good standard rescue, shop and for sale breeder piggies are usually not accustomed to human interaction. They are prey animals with prey animal instincts and are not instant cuddly pets.
Please make sure that you double check the gender upon arrival and that you see a vet promptly if your youngsters are developing bald patches, heavy breathing/crusty eyes etc. Respiratory infection (URI), ringworm or mange mites are the most common issues that shop or breeder piggies can come with. Mis-sexing is not at all uncommon.
How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
Sexing Guide
Children And Guinea Pigs - A Guide For Parents
Recommended UK vets locator on the top bar.

More information for Wannabe and New Owners:
Quick Information Bundle For Wannabe Owners
Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

Hi Wiebke,

I have done some reasearch and we are getting three bonded baby girls from an Adoption Centre. We will take to the vets just down the road to get them registered and have a health check as soon as they are born. Thank you so much again,

ElizaCavies xx

Welcome and looking forward to seeing pics.
I’ve just gone over to a C&C cage having been unsure about them for a long time.
I’m glad I did - my girls love the space and it’s easier to clean than the cage was.

If you get a hutch or cage, you have to go very very big. You don't think of the piggies size now, but the size they will become. I do know of others who have successfully used 1 of the above.
A lot of people me including prefer the C&C, plenty of room. Also all round viewing for them & us.

Hi Wiebke,

I have done some reasearch and we are getting three bonded baby girls from an Adoption Centre. We will take to the vets just down the road to get them registered and have a health check as soon as they are born. Thank you so much again,

ElizaCavies xx

That is good to hear! We try our best to make sure that any new owners have as smooth a start into their piggy journey as possible; that includes pointing out potential problem areas that can be avoided by doing research beforehand. ;)

Thank you so much for everyone who contributed ❤️

I have reserved a bonded trio, but they are all different breeds (one rex, one teddy and one Swiss). Any insights to whether they have different food requirements and how big does each breed grow?

Thanks,

ElizaCavies xx

Thank you so much for everyone who contributed ❤️

I have reserved a bonded trio, but they are all different breeds (one rex, one teddy and one Swiss). Any insights to whether they have different food requirements and how big does each breed grow?

Thanks,

ElizaCavies xx

You can treat all guinea pigs the same; there is not much difference between them apart from the hair texture and density of the coat. Teddies and the more recent Swiss teddies are all based on the rex breed.
All breeds can live together; size is more of an individual variance rather than a breed feature.
The only breed that requires special consideration are skinny (i.e. hairless) piggies because they have a much faster metabolism and have to eat more (and have slightly shorter lives).

My two teddy sisters Nia and Nerys were 1000 and 1500g at the peak of their lives, for instance, but they both lived to a good age (Nerys even to 8 years old), while it was the smaller and more energetic sister Nia who ran my big group for a generation. So you can never go by that!
Here is a line-up of my big group at its largest; you can see that I had all kinds of breeds in it, including two teddies (Nesta and Nerys, not related) on the right-hand end.
IMG_4053_edited-3.jpg

Key to optimal size and longevity is a good general hay based diet. With it each piggy can realise their individual optimal size/weight ratio. This varies during their lives. Piggies are their heaviest between 2-4 years at their peak; the weight will gradually come down somewhat as they age and become saggier. They should still have a good heft, though!
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...ig-picture-guide-to-common-pet-breeds.121399/
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diet
The Importance Of Weighing - Ideal Weight / Overweight / Underweight

Thank you again Wiebke for your amazing insights your piggies are so so cute ❤️❤️ You have been so helpful. I will post on this thread when I get my cavies xx

Back