• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Mucky Nose...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nina

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just looking for a little bit of advice prior to my vets appointment tomorrow if that's okay (:
My Peruvian boar 'Munroe' is known for being quite a naturally 'nasely' guinea pig, and he's been fine in himself so I didn't completely panick when I noticed something dried around his nostrils the past couple of days (he's also been diving head first into his tomatoes - so wanted to make sure it wasn't just excess juice!) Late last night however I did see some discharge come out of a nostril, whilst it doesn't look particularly mucky, I have booked him into the vets tomorrow to be on the safe side. His cage mate 'pumpkin' has also had some clear discharge this morning so I'm going to take her along with him.

It's been quite a few years since I've needed antibiotics etc. for any of my pigs, so I'm not sure what the current best treatment would be (and obviously these things change so quickly!) It's just one of the generic vets that is on tomorrow (and I don't want to leave him until Monday) so I was just looking for some advice so if necessary I know what I'm asking for.

Thanks in advance!
Nina

No, his his fruit and veg allocation is mainly compiled of veg/herbs - if I feed fruit it's normally once or twice a week. Along the lines of a raspberry each, or a piece of strawberry each. When I feed tomatoes it's usually a small tomato chopped into quarters, then a quater per pig chopped in half - he just likes to make a mess with the seeds!

I'll try and get a picture, but with his white face it's quite difficult to get a photo that shows it clearly!

Thank you for your help (:

it is good to have both boys checked. it can be the beginnings of a URI (respiratory infection), but it could be due to some other irritation. What bedding are they on? Are you burning scent sticks in the room? Did you have a very dusty batch of hay?

it is very likely that your vet will treat for a URI. Please make sure that you get hold of some probiotics to give a pinch per piggy 1-2 hours after any antibiotic to help steady the guts. Any antibiotic also kills off the good bacteria in the guts, which can cause soft poos or loss of appetite. Baytril is especially known for this, and as it is the only licensed antibiotic for guinea pigs, you will most likely prescribed it.

Thank you all!

As it turned out, the practise manager was in so she saw us instead. He does have a URI, so we've come home with antibiotics, but she gave him a thorough examination and other than that he's in perfect health (: She also examined Pumpkin and she's fine, but she's taken her weight so I don't have to take her back in if she starts showing symptoms.

Thank you for the advice!

All the best and a good recovery!

Antibiotics kill not only the bad bacteria but also the good ones in gut, especially baytril, which is most likely the antibiotic you have been given, which often has an appetite dampening or killing effect and can cause soft poos or even diarrhea in some guinea pigs.
We recommend to give a pinch of probiotic 1-2 hours after you give the antibiotic to help prop up the guts. you can order probiotics online (see syringe feeding link for more info) or get some from your local pet shop.
You may also want to place a bowl of steaming water next to the cage, to help ease the breathing.

It would also be good if you had some recovery food at home, so you can always step in with syringe feeding when necessary. As you have caught the URI very promptly, I doubt that this will become necessary in your case, but your own care can make a difference with a serious illness.
Please weigh any ill or potentially ill guinea pig once daily (instead of once weekly with a healthy guinea pig) at the same time in the feeding cycle (as the daily weight can fluctuate around 30g from a full/empty bladder and tummy). Weighing you guinea pigs regularly is an important tool in health monitoring, as it helps you to spot any brewing issues early on. ;)
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/complete-syringe-feeding-guide.115359/ (including how to administer medication or syringe feed)
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/first-aid-kit-for-guinea-pigs.36634/

Please see your vet promptly if there is any deterioration or if your little piggy is having a bad reaction to the antibiotic. If you struggle with getting the horrible tasting baytril in, you can mix it with a bit of ribena.

What is your piggy's weight and what is the concentration and dose of baytril that you have been prescribed?

Thanks Wiebke! It's been 24 hours since his first dose and that little bit of spark he had lost is back, so it seems to be doing the trick so far (:

He weighed in at 1.179kg today - this is post evening veggies. And he's on 0.5ml of Baytril (2.5% solution) once daily for 7 days.

Luckily I'm having no issues getting the Baytril in, whilst he doesn't particularly like it I'm lucky that he's a very placid and loving little boy - plus mum and I were shown how to syringe meds by the cavy trust when I was a little girl and that technique is yet to fail me (touch wood!).

Thanks again for all of the advice! (:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back