1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Multiple Strokes In Young Guinea Pig

Discussion in 'Caring for an ill Guinea Pig' started by Bobbie, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Bobbie

Bobbie New Born Pup

My 10 month old male guinea pig had his first stroke, 12/3. Then seemed that another one occurred a week later. Resorted to hand feeding but he seemed to have another one during the night. Died unfortunately what may have been a cause? Had been seen by vet and placed on cipro and antiinflammatory. As he had head tilt, nystagmus, and balance issues. But ears appeared fine and symptoms occurred suddenly.

2. Wiebke

Wiebke Moderator
    Staff Member

@Adelle @helen105281

I am very sorry. It sounds like there has been a genetic disposition/fault if it happened at such a young age! :(

It is always such a shock and heartbreak, and it is not easy to make sense of it. But it sounds like he has had a caring home with you, so he has known love and happiness.

3. helen105281

Forum Donator 2016/17

I'm so sorry, I agree with Wiebke it sounds like a genetic weakness.

4. Tiamolly123

Forum Donator 2016/17

So sorry for your loss
    Sleep tight little one

5. Jaycey

Forum Donator 2016/17

I'm so sorry, hope you are okay.

I had a similar thing happen with a pig that I only had for a few months. We had no knowledge of his background as he was literally found wandering the streets in town.

He had a seizure at the vet, and another one when I had him, which he didn't survive. We could only guess at the cause and we thought neurological.

6. xxEmmapearsonxx

xxEmmapearsonxx New Born Pup

7. xxEmmapearsonxx

xxEmmapearsonxx New Born Pup

Hi has anybody got help. I have a guinea pig that we think had a stroke on Sunday and we kept him in a box overnight as he couldn't move his back legs. I was glad to see him alive the next morning and put him back in his care with his fellow guinea pig Sooty. But he appeared to have a fit so we put him back in the box and he can barely move(he drags himself around). I really don't want to loose him but want to do the right thing anyone have any tips.

8. Poppy'sMum

Forum Donator 2016/17

9. Jaycey

Forum Donator 2016/17

Yep. You need a vet visit. They're best equipped to try to work out what it causing it and to give him any fluids or medication that might help him.

I hope he's okay x