• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Muscle weakening?

Dorota Kasiak

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
After her bladder stone removal (about a year or so ago) Ziuta started having a dirty bottom. Now she needs occasional baths. When she gets matted, her hair comes out in clumps and sometimes the skin gets slightly irritated. Luckily she seems to have learned how to maintain the spot and is getting quite good at cleaning it (although she needs some assistance sometimes). The reason I think that she has muscle weakening in the area is because when she poops, the tip of the dropping hangs on, giving them a point. We haven't had time to visit a vet and at the moment, and we can't see what they are doing as we can't enter the room. Last time we went we barely had time to explain the problem and we're given very crude explanations afterwards, not giving us time to ask questions. However, due to recent events, they may be willing to let someone into the room? I'm not sure what to do but I was wondering if there could be any other explanation for this

After her bladder stone removal (about a year or so ago) Ziuta started having a dirty bottom. Now she needs occasional baths. When she gets matted, her hair comes out in clumps and sometimes the skin gets slightly irritated. Luckily she seems to have learned how to maintain the spot and is getting quite good at cleaning it (although she needs some assistance sometimes). The reason I think that she has muscle weakening in the area is because when she poops, the tip of the dropping hangs on, giving them a point. We haven't had time to visit a vet and at the moment, and we can't see what they are doing as we can't enter the room. Last time we went we barely had time to explain the problem and we're given very crude explanations afterwards, not giving us time to ask questions. However, due to recent events, they may be willing to let someone into the room? I'm not sure what to do but I was wondering if there could be any other explanation for this

Hi!

I would be surprised if social distancing measures were lifted very soon.

Depending on how good your vets are, they could have cut through muscle to get to the bladder, making it is a bit more difficult for your girl to clean herself. It can however also be that she has got a cystitis (a bladder infection as a result of the stones), which can cause excess urination that often smells rather strongly; for that she would need an antibiotic. A problem with the reproductive tract (womb) could also be something to take into consideration.
Weakening of the muscles at the end is usually a boar specific problem.

Here are our tips on looking after guinea pigs with soreness (urine scald) that are sitting in their pee a lot for whatever reason. Please take the time to read this guide. Urine scald is an avoidable problem.
Looking after guinea pigs with limited or no mobility

Hi!

I would be surprised if social distancing measures were lifted very soon.
Depending on how good your vets are, they could have cut through muscle to get to the bladder, making it is a bit more difficult for your girl to clean herself. It can however also be that she has got a cystitis (a bladder infection as a result of the stones), which can cause excess urination that often smells rather strongly; for that she would need an antibiotic. A problem with the reproductive tract (womb) could also be something to take into consideration.

Here are our tips on looking after guinea pigs with soreness (urine scald) that are sitting in their pee a lot for whatever reason. Please take the time to read this guide. Urine scald is an avoidable problem.
Looking after guinea pigs with limited or no mobility
I'm not sure about cystitis as this has been going on for a year (although she was diagnosed with cystitis this April after we noticed bright red discharge coming from her behind). She was given antibiotics and painkillers in April which stopped the discharge but not the dirty patch.

Thanks for the helpful link but the reason for the difficulty cleaning is due to her losing a sense of balance when she lifts her leg to get to the spot. It does look like she has urine scald but not on lower belly like the picture on the link showed, but higher up (I'm not sure how to explain the placement of the spot). Interestingly, it's only on one side rather than covering the entire area close to the bottom.

I'm not sure about cystitis as this has been going on for a year (although she was diagnosed with cystitis this April after we noticed bright red discharge coming from her behind). She was given antibiotics and painkillers in April which stopped the discharge but not the dirty patch.

Thanks for the helpful link but the reason for the difficulty cleaning is due to her losing a sense of balance when she lifts her leg to get to the spot. It does look like she has urine scald but not on lower belly like the picture on the link showed, but higher up (I'm not sure how to explain the placement of the spot). Interestingly, it's only on one side rather than covering the entire area close to the bottom.

It sounds like she may have a problem with her mobility (arthritis? weakness in one leg?) re. the falling over and sleeping on the side.

It sounds like she may have a problem with her mobility (arthritis? weakness in one leg?) re. the falling over and sleeping on the side.
Interesting, what could have caused that? She's quite young and has never shown any weakness in the legs. I think she might be toppling over because of the placement of the spot since it is quite difficult to get to for her. She has been getting better with balancing and reaching that spot to groom it so I'm not sure if arthritis or weakness in the leg is to blame. Unfortunately, we may have to wait a while before we can get a proper check up from the vet.

The best way I can describe the placement is to the left of the line (where the grease gland is) that they have on their bottoms.

Interesting, what could have caused that? She's quite young and has never shown any weakness in the legs. I think she might be toppling over because of the placement of the spot since it is quite difficult to get to for her. She has been getting better with balancing and reaching that spot to groom it so I'm not sure if arthritis or weakness in the leg is to blame. Unfortunately, we may have to wait a while before we can get a proper check up from the vet.

As you haven't mentioned the age of your piggy or any details re. location of the lump, I can only make any guesses based on your information (or lack thereof). I have had the odd elderly piggy falling over due to arthritis and weakened legs.

A picture of the lump and where it is situated would also help.

As you haven't mentioned the age of your piggy or any details re. location of the lump, I can only make any guesses based on your information (or lack thereof). I have had the odd elderly piggy falling over due to arthritis and weakened legs.

A picture of the lump and where it is situated would also help.
Sorry, just wanted to correct, it's not a lump (otherwise I'd probably go to a vet straight away), it's a place that keeps getting dirty and soiled, causing hair loss (often in small clumps) and irritation. It is getting better luckily.

I have no recent pictures and can't get one as she is sleeping but here is one where it was particularly bad (sorry if it isn't clear)

There was quite significant hair loss (but very fine hairs were growing back which you can't see in the picture). The skin was also a bit irritated and red. At the moment there isn't much matting as she has learnt to clean it better which is a good sign.

Attachments

• IMG_20200430_181409.jpg
    IMG_20200430_181409.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 5
Sorry, just wanted to correct, it's not a lump (otherwise I'd probably go to a vet straight away), it's a place that keeps getting dirty and soiled, causing hair loss (often in small clumps) and irritation. It is getting better luckily.

I have no recent pictures and can't get one as she is sleeping but here is one where it was particularly bad (sorry if it isn't clear)

There was quite significant hair loss (but very fine hairs were growing back which you can't see in the picture). The skin was also a bit irritated and red. At the moment there isn't much matting as she has learnt to clean it better which is a good sign.

Hi!

Please keep the sleeping area changed very regularly (like in once or twice daily) and have that area checked for mites or fungal as our picture is not clear enough to really see what is going on.

Hi!

Please keep the sleeping area changed very regularly (like in once or twice daily) and have that area checked for mites or fungal as our picture is not clear enough to really see what is going on.
I apologize for the picture, and will try to get an new one tomorrow. Everyday we do spot cleaning once or occasionally twice a day, adding a large amount of bedding to try and absorb liquid. We will top up her bed quite often with piles of hay, which she enjoys making nests from (she got upset once when I made her best :) XD)

I apologize for the picture, and will try to get an new one tomorrow. Everyday we do spot cleaning once or occasionally twice a day, adding a large amount of bedding to try and absorb liquid. We will top up her bed quite often with piles of hay, which she enjoys making nests from (she got upset once when I made her best :) XD)
We also make sure she doesn't stay in her cage all day and take her outside or to explore upstairs if the weather doesn't allow it

Back