• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

My baby boy Pippin

weepweeps

Senior Guinea Pig
Forum Buddy
Reaction score
I’ve been a member of the forum since November 2020. But just before that we got Percy (16 weeks) and Pippin (4 1/2 weeks) in August 2020. I had been thinking of getting more piggies for a little while but didn’t want to get them during lockdown. Anyway, I couldn’t resist their little faces when they came up for sale (from a breeder!). I now know that there are rescues out there that I should have approached. But that is how I came to be their piggy momma. They got on really well. Percy was such a lovely uncle to Pippin. We cuddled them every evening that we had them. Then one day I noticed a tiny red patch by Pippins eye. I initially thought that Percy had nipped him. Even though Percy had never shown any aggression. But within a day or two it had gotten worse. Spread from his eye to his ear. So I took Pippin to the vets. It is a vets on the vet finder here. One of the best in my area. They weren’t sure what is was. They said it didn’t look like mites or fungal. So they treated it as if it was a bacterial infection. He had three different lots of cream over two weeks. Three vet visits. But nothing was working. It was spreading so fast. Eye, ear, behind ear, back of neck, foot, chest. Everyday seemed to bring another patch. Then one evening he just looked so poorly. So I called the emergency vets and they prescribed Pippin some pain medicine. He passed away the next morning. I was heartbroken. Poor Pippin, I loved you. You were such a little sausage. A bit cheeky too. I’m sorry I couldn’t make you better. Love momma and momma Jess.

Sorry for your loss. Popcorn free over the rainbow bridge Pippin.

I'm so sorry you lost your precious Pippin. He was clearly very loved, both by you and his Uncle Percy. Sleep tight little one 💕🌈

I am very sorry for your loss. Pippin was gorgeous!

PS: The death may not have been caused by that infection. Humans have the need to make sense of a sudden loss and will latch onto any circumstance, whether it is relevant or not. Unfortunately, only a post mortem examination could have confirmed whether there was a link or not. :(

I've only just seen this thread. How sad that you lost him so suddenly. He was gorgeous. So sorry for your loss.

I am very sorry for your loss. Pippin was gorgeous!

PS: The death may not have been caused by that infection. Humans have the need to make sense of a sudden loss and will latch onto any circumstance, whether it is relevant or not. Unfortunately, only a post mortem examination could have confirmed whether there was a link or not. :(

That's very true. I did speak to the breeder we got him from and she said that it wouldn’t have been the skin patches that killed him. She said “sometimes guinea pigs just die”! At the time I was really upset by her words. But I think she was probably right. Thank you.

Back